> For the Iranians to take such blatant action makes no sense, IMHO.
Getting someone ELSE
> to attack Israel, maybe, but attacking Israel directly? That's an
act of war.

I agree with you, see below article with regard to Iran and
Hizbullah connection. (sorry it's a bit long)

Since Khomeini's rise to power in 1979, Iran has maintained
aspirations to lead the radical Islamic camp and continues to deepen
its ties to extremist states and terrorist groups throughout the
Middle East (Hizbullah in Lebanon, Hamas and the Islamic Jihad in
the West Bank and Gaza). At the same time Iran has engaged in a
public relations campaign aimed at convincing the West, as well as
its neighboring Gulf States of its benign intentions and fitness to
be fully integrated into the community of nations.

The one realm where Iran has made no attempt to disguise its
ideological fervor is with regard to its implacable hatred of
Israel. Iran remains committed to the proposition that Israel has no
right to exist and that its destruction is a desideratum. The
following statements, coming from the highest levels of authority in
Teheran, give evidence of the ideological obsession which Iran has
with Israel's very existence:

"The government and people of Iran are of the opinion that the
Israeli entity is false and artificial. In fact there is no nation
named 'Israel'.....The Zionists scraped together some people from
all over the world and, based only on racism, brought about the
Zionist regime by virtue of the conquest of Palestine." (Pres. Ali
Khameini addressing senior officers of the Iranian Air Force, Feb.
8, 1996 - Radio Teheran.)
"The power of Islam will ultimately bring about the end of the
usurpatory and rootless Zionist regime, which has forced its
presence upon Palestinian land and which must be destroyed." (Friday
sermon delivered by Pres. Ali Khameini on Feb. 20, 1996 - Iranian
News Agency - IRANA.)

"When others talk about liberating Palestine they mean the 'annexed'
territories of 1967, we mean all Palestinian Land.......Iran is the
only country which is opposed to the basic existence of Israel"
(Foreign Minister Velliati, Feb. 6, 1996 - interview in "Salaam".)

It comes as no surprise, then, that one of Iran's major policy goals
is the wrecking of the Middle East peace process. An Arab World,
which is overwhelmingly Moslem, at peace with Israel contradicts an
essential pillar of Iranian ideology. To this end Iran has fomented
terrorism, either in the West Bank and Gaza or on Israel's northern
border, in an attempt to bring about the collapse of the peace
process.
Putting its creed into deed, Iran has been implicated in terror
attacks against Israeli and Jewish targets throughout the world
(i.e. the bombing of the Israel Embassy in Buenos Aires in March
1992, the attempt on the life of Jewish communal leader Jaques
Kimche in Istanbul in June 1993, and the bombing of the Jewish
Community Center in Buenos Aires in July 1994).

Iranian Embassies and Consulates are forward outposts for terrorist
operations with numerous "attaches" coming and going in the weeks
prior to and following bombings and assassinations. The Iranian
diplomatic mail service, which is inviolable to search and seizure,
is constantly used to ferry arms and explosives to operatives around
the world. Recognition of official Iranian direction of terrorist
activities was evidenced by the warrant for the arrest of Security
Minister Falahian issued by German authorities. Falahian is
suspected of having engineered the assassination of Iranian
dissidents living in Germany in the early 1990's.

In March 1996 a major shipment of arms and explosives destined for
Iranian terrorists based in Germany was discovered at the Belgian
port of Antwerp. Security sources indicate that the shipment was to
be used in terrorist attacks against Israeli and Jewish targets in
Europe.

Iran views Hizbullah as its spearhead in the battle against Israel.
Hizbullah terrorists are almost in constant combat against IDF
troops. The geographic location of Lebanon coupled with its
political situation easily enables Iran to ship weaponry, with
Syrian acquiescence, to Hizbullah units operating on Israel's
border. In January 1996 three Iranian trucks loaded with arms were
intercepted by Turkish authorities on their way to Lebanon via
Turkey and Syria.

Reliable reports indicate that since April 1996 thirty (30) Iranian
planes loaded with ammunition and weapons have landed at Damascus
airport. Their cargo, which included Sagger anti-tank missiles, long
range Katyusha rockets and high explosive anti-tank mines, was
subsequently transferred to Hizbullah forces in south Lebanon.
Moreover, according to reports in El-Hiyatt (January 21, 1997) Syria
and Iran continue to jointly coordinate Hizbullah's current role and
political future.

Iran was instrumental in the founding of Hizbullah and continues to
fund its operations at a level of approximately 80 million dollars
per year, which is to be increased in 1997 to 100 million dollars.
Hizbullah terrorists are trained at Iranian military installations
and close contact with the Hizbullah hierarchy is maintained by
Teheran through its embassy in Beirut.

Iranian arms and money have not only bolstered Hizbullah's combat
readiness but have also left their imprint from an ideological point
of view. Contrary to public statements made for the Western media,
Hizbullah does not view its role as merely fighting Israeli forces
in the Security Zone, rather Hizbullah is now committed to an
unrelenting struggle against Israel. At a rally held on the last
Friday of Ramadan Hizbullah Secretary General Hassan Nassrallah
called upon the Palestinians to rekindle the Jihad against Israel,
resume the suicide bombings and the Intifadah. Claiming that the
current Palestinian leadership had "betrayed Palestine and
Jerusalem" he stated that it is necessary now for a
Palestinian "Islamabouli" (Anwar Sadat's assassin) to step forward
and for the Palestinians to "execute" their leaders.

The Information Division, Israel Foreign Ministry