> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajranatha@> wrote:

> > > One wonders if this was around the time he started slapping his
> > > assumed name, "Maharishi", on all the TMO product lines (e.g.
> > > "Maharishi Ayurveda, etc.).
> >
> > Er, you mean back in 1971, with "Maharishi International
> > University?"
> >
> > And MMY explained very carefully why that was done when he did it.
>
> It's a branding strategy.  (Also, perhaps, a way of
> ensuring that Guru Dev isn't held responsible for
> anything MMY does that others don't approve of.)

The original rationale was when MIU was first being discussed, the question
arose: "What
do we call it." MMY said to name it the way you traditionally name things in
the West,
which would logically mean it would be named after him.

He said he was initially opposed to the idea, but then it struck him:
"maharishi" means
"great sage" --someone who can teach others how to become rishis themselves.
The
purpose of Maharishi Initernational University is to create enlightened people
who can
make others enlightened.

So he approved the name.

The branding idea came later, but still has that core idea to it.