> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <drpetersutphen@> wrote:
> >
> > But those big courses are fun. I was at Amherst in '79
> > and then at MIU for the winter one (was that 84 or
> > 85). Both were really amazing. I don't know if our
> > collective consciousness actually does anything, but
> > the subjective experiences are incredible when you
> > have large numbers doing program together.
>
> I agree. Personally, I attribute the subjective
> "high" to large numbers of people meditating
> together, and don't think that the siddhis have
> anything whatsoever to do with it, but I agree
> that large courses can be fun.

The EEG of yogic flying (before and/or after hopping --NOT during since that
can't be
measured as we all agree) is quite coherent at all frequencies, in many
different parts of
the brain. This is in contrast to the EEG during TM, which is generally
coherent mostly in
the alpha frequencies in the frontal lobes. That's a striking, measureable
difference that
correlates with people's subjective impression. Whether or not this is affected
by group
practice is another matter, of course.

> Plus, I think that everyone senses that this
> may be the last of them. Maharishi isn't going
> to live forever, and when he goes, I have not
> seen any indication that *anyone* else within the
> TM movement could inspire more than a handful
> of people to come to a course. They could plead
> and cry and beg and claim that the world is going
> to end if people don't come, and everyone would
> ignore them, because they just don't have the
> chops to pull that sort of thing off. Not one
> of them. As I've said in another context recently,
> not one of them has done anything to *deserve*
> such faith or to inspire the necessary suspension
> of disbelief. And not one of them is likely to
> in any of our lifetimes.

Hence the recertification course, the Rajahs, etc., as Judy and I have been
explaining. It
creates a core group willing to play the game, even after MMY goes. There are
already
hundreds, if not thousands of TM teachers unwilling to play the TMO game, but
the Rajah/
recert program seperates the truely committed (fanatical?) from the dilletants.

> So IMO this will probably be the Last Big Course,
> even though I suspect that Maharishi will see
> the final numbers as disappointing. I think that
> may be the biggest reason many people are attending,
> and that they don't really believe any more that
> they're going to affect world conditions. They're
> attending out of a sense of nostalgia for the
> "good old days" and out of a lingering and quickly
> diminishing respect for the guy who *used* to be
> able to inspire them.
>
> That said, I wish all of those who have attended
> the best, and I hope they have a great time. At
> this point in TM history, those within the TMO
> who still have the faith to do so are far more
> impressive than those who are trying to exploit it.

Who is trying to exploit the TMO?