--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> The tape account is different.  It was in the first announcement for
> his first lectures so he didn't have any students.  They reported a
> lecture given by a great Maharishi from the Himalayas.  As MMY tells
> it, the lectures were set up by a pushy guy at the temple, it was not
> his idea.  Part of his "innocent ting" personal mythology.  He wasn't
> an ambitious guy huckstering a product, he was just responding to the
> call of nature.   "Hermit in the House" paints a completely different
> picture of his ambitious nature, made all the more powerful because it
> is written by a devotee.

This would have been several years later. A lot can change in 4 years.
Actually, reading
Dr. Coplin's account of the early, pre-TMO days in his PhD dissertation on the
history of
TM, it would seem that the change happened virtually overnight. That's not
necessarily at
odds with MMY's account, however, since he DID spend 13 years as the manager of
Gurudev's material affairs: if he decided, however reluctantly at first, that
some goal was
worth pursuing, he had both the experience AND social/spiritual/political
contacts to
jump-start a large organization. According to Coplin, MMY ended up with
personal
endorsements from the VP of India and TWO Shankaracharyas at the very start of
his
organized push. That's enough to get the ball rolling overnight, I think.

http://members.aol.com/drcoplin/SRMemergence.html