> on 8/7/06 3:30 PM, Jason Spock at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >       Sir Rick Archer, I found this comment in another forum.
What is your
> > opinion on this.??
> >

> >      "" I find it amusing that everyone who 'regresses' to a past
life seems
> > to have led an exciting existence as a nobleman, diplomat,
courtesan, soldier,
> > pirate, painter, musician, etc.  Nobody ever seems to discover
that they were
> > a filthy ignorant peasant who led a dreary, brutal life and died
of an
> > infected cut at the age of 28.  Makes ya wonder what happened to
the souls of
> > all those slaves who built the pyramids and such.""
> >
> Not sure why you¹d want my opinion, but I tend to agree with the
above.
> ³Most men live lives of quiet desperation,² thus most people¹s past
lives
> are probably as dreary as their current one, maybe more so, if you
agree
> with MMY¹s comment that the past is always a lesser developed
state. It may
> be, though, that the recent lifetimes of people nearing
enlightenment in
> this lifetime (many on this forum) have been more interesting.

There was a study I read about years ago--but didn't
note the citation info--that (as I recall) had around
1,000 subjects (from the U.S., I believe), randomly
chosen, a statistically significant sample.  They were
put under hypnosis and asked to remember their past
lives.

The *vast* majority of these people recalled lives as
brown-skinned people working in the fields.  Only a very
few--three or four, I think--remembered lives in
identifiable historical periods, much less exciting
existences.

I keep hoping I'll come across a reference to this
study somewhere to get a fix on the details.  I
doubt the study was published anywhere.  I do recall
that the researchers made a big effort to be as
scientific as possible--the hypnotic inductions and
the questions asked during hypnosis were the same for
all subjects; the evaluations of their reports were
not done by the researchers themselves, so the study
was single-blind, at least; and so on.

I *think* I recall that the researchers' hypothesis
was that most of the subjects would improbably recall
thrilling lives in historically identifiable periods
and were astonished that they did not.

I had a roommate once years ago who was very into
New Age stuff, particularly reincarnation.  She went
weekly to consult a spiritualist and would come home
bursting to share with me the past lives the
spiritualist had told her about--a court fool to
Henry IV, a slave girl of Cleopatra, the father of
Patrick Henry, one of Walt Whitman's lovers (male),
etc., etc.

One day I asked her, "Did she tell you about your
life as Benjamin Franklin's illegitimate daughter?"

Her jaw dropped.  "No, she didn't," she said. "I wonder
why not?  Maybe she didn't want me to know about that
one for some reason.  I'll have to ask her next time."