> In a message dated 8/12/06 10:04:29 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> So you  acknowledge that not allowing the mother to
> know the sex of a child would  be a lesser evil, I
> presume.
>

> Yes it would be a lesser evil if it meant saving the life of the fetus, but
> we don't make Chinese laws.  I don't think the Chinese really look on the
> issue as being a major problem worth solving. If anything they probably look
> on
> their current policy as a damned good solution.

In fact, I don't know what the Chinese solution is. I know that the Indian
government, at
one point, was banning the study of any practice or procedure that might
influence the sex
of baby before conception and I seem to recall issues about finding out the sex
DURING
pregnancy, but I may be wrong.

I was merely proposing the ultra-sound sex-determination thing as a possible
solution to
China's problem and even there, there's the issue of known sex-linked birth
defects that
might make a pregancy *dangerous* to continue.