<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Like many aspects of the TM movement beliefs, the 1% claims are
> carefully worded so they are un-falsifiable.

Curtis has discovered the concept of "falsifiability"
but unfortunately hasn't quite discovered how to use
it correctly in context yet.  It's like the fundie
Christian who inhabited alt.m.t for a while and kept
yapping about how the only scientific studies that
were valid were those that were double-blind.  He was
also unclear on the concept.

Two points Curtis needs to think about:

1.  Some claims are *by their very nature*
unfalsifiable.  It's not a matter of "careful wording,"
it's that it would make no sense to word them any other
way, e.g., "There is life on other planets."

2.  In doing research studies on the Maharishi Effect,
TM scientists have made *falsifiable predictions* and
then tested them.  If they wanted to keep the
Maharishi Effect theory unfalsifiable, they wouldn't
conduct such studies in the first place.

That's not to say there aren't big problems with
testing the ME theory, or that TM researchers haven't
looked at the data selectively. But that has nothing
to do with falsifiability per se.

> This is a common trick
> with groups making absurd claims.  Because they are choosing what to
> pay attention to in huge amounts of sociological data, they can make
> it seem like either "something good is happening" or "something is
> purifying in the environment".

Of course, "something is purifying in the environment"
is not a claim made in the scientific research on the
Maharishi Effect.  Straw man.

> On a smaller scale this is played out
> with the claim that TM makes you feel better in every way

That isn't a claim I've ever heard in the TM context.

, unless it
> doesn't, which is termed unstressing.  They are only fooling
> themselves with this transparent tactic.

However, no such explanation about unstressing
is advanced in TM's scientific research.

And in any case, while unstressing as an explanation
for why one doesn't always live in unmitigated bliss
from the moment of starting TM may seem like an easy
out, it's also possible that it's true.  I doubt
Curtis would say that psychotherapists, for example,
are using a transparent tactic just to fool themselves
when they say that therapy will ultimately make you
feel better, but you may find yourself feeling worse
first.

> Fairfield people are nice, ordinary folks with all the same social
> problems common to their age demographic.  Nothing special after
> decades of devotion to this practice.  The same mix of idiots and
> geniuses you find everywhere else.  They aren't better in any way,
but
> I don't think they are worse either.  Just an odd belief system in a
> group of mostly optimistic people.  I think you would have to look
> long and hard to find another one as whacked as your ex seemed to
be.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Bill (William)Simmons"
> <unclewas@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Robert Gimbel <babajii_99@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Maharishi Maheshi Yogi's life work;
> > >   Has culminated in this theory,
> > >   It's called 'The Maharishi Effect'.
> > >   It says;
> > >   That TM meditators, have an effect;
> > >   When in transendental deep meditation-
> > >    That effects the rest of the population;
> > >   (Yes, I know this sounds absurd)
> >

> > Robert, interesting theories and given that these theories are
the
> > culmination of MMY's life work.  Is it safe to say Fairfield
itself
> > being the home of the TM movement, the univeristy and so many Tm
> > meditators is a community in a state of bliss. Does Fairfield
enjoy a
> > 0% crime rate. 0 % domestic disputes and a 0% incidence of the
> > various other types of social problems that plague other
communities
> > with a fraction of the population of meditators.
> >
> > Yes Robert to use your own words this does sound absurd.
> >
> > If MMY can bring peace to a community with (I think I saw a claim
of
> > 1% of the population meditating). Then given Fairfields pop. of a
> > mere 10,000 people there must be zero reportable incidences in
your
> > community with such a large population of TM meditators,,,how
could
> > it possibly be anything but,,,it is afterall a culmination of
MMY's