Hi, Curtis -- Barry Markovsky called TM a stealth religion. I think
that is quite apt considering how he and his minions have suckered so
many ordinary folks into paying for the absurd claims of
opportunistic Maheshism. *If something good happens, we are
responsible; otherwise, we blame people for being negative.*

Butt-bouncing for whirrled peas. Like Steve said, eventually people
will figure it out.

I don't know, however, if the Maheshites' claims about the MishMash
Effect are, as you say, 'un-falsifiable'. Quite a lot got written by
actual scientists almost as soon as the TMO published.

If I can find any of those documents, I'll add them to the TMO the
Odd Side in the Files section.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Like many aspects of the TM movement beliefs, the 1% claims are
> carefully worded so they are un-falsifiable.  This is a common trick
> with groups making absurd claims.  Because they are choosing what to
> pay attention to in huge amounts of sociological data, they can make
> it seem like either "something good is happening" or "something is
> purifying in the environment".  On a smaller scale this is played
out
> with the claim that TM makes you feel better in every way, unless it
> doesn't, which is termed unstressing.  They are only fooling
> themselves with this transparent tactic.
>
> Fairfield people are nice, ordinary folks with all the same social
> problems common to their age demographic.  Nothing special after
> decades of devotion to this practice.  The same mix of idiots and
> geniuses you find everywhere else.  They aren't better in any way,
but
> I don't think they are worse either.  Just an odd belief system in a
> group of mostly optimistic people.  I think you would have to look
> long and hard to find another one as whacked as your ex seemed to
be.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Bill (William)Simmons"
> <unclewas@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Robert Gimbel <babajii_99@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Maharishi Maheshi Yogi's life work;
> > >   Has culminated in this theory,
> > >   It's called 'The Maharishi Effect'.
> > >   It says;
> > >   That TM meditators, have an effect;
> > >   When in transendental deep meditation-
> > >    That effects the rest of the population;
> > >   (Yes, I know this sounds absurd)
> >

> > Robert, interesting theories and given that these theories are
the
> > culmination of MMY's life work.  Is it safe to say Fairfield
itself
> > being the home of the TM movement, the univeristy and so many Tm
> > meditators is a community in a state of bliss. Does Fairfield
enjoy a
> > 0% crime rate. 0 % domestic disputes and a 0% incidence of the
> > various other types of social problems that plague other
communities
> > with a fraction of the population of meditators.
> >
> > Yes Robert to use your own words this does sound absurd.
> >
> > If MMY can bring peace to a community with (I think I saw a claim
of
> > 1% of the population meditating). Then given Fairfields pop. of a
> > mere 10,000 people there must be zero reportable incidences in
your
> > community with such a large population of TM meditators,,,how
could
> > it possibly be anything but,,,it is afterall a culmination of
MMY's