--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@>
wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, gerbal88 <no_reply@>

Wodehouse

> > > An apparent favorite author of Beven's. At last i saw him
reading it
> > > intently for several hours. Made me laugh.
> >
> > Speaks well for him, actually.
>
> Thats why i laughed. i wondered if he saw the osequinessence thing
> (sp) the same way Jeeves did.

(Obsequiousness??)

Interesting thought, Jeeves as a model for service
to the master!  Whoever suggested reading Jeeves
to Bevan had quite a sense of humor, on several
levels.

> Or was he looking for tips on how to be even more obsequiess.

Maybe.  Or perhaps, from the Wikipedia entry on Jeeves:

"Jeeves is a member of the Junior Ganymede Club, a club for butlers
and valets, in whose club book all members must write down all the
wrongdoings of their employers. Thus, butlers and valets can be
forewarned before taking up employment with the more infamous
employers mentioned in the club book. The section labelled 'WOOSTER
B', the largest in the book, contains 18 pages. However, in the book
Much Obliged, Jeeves, Jeeves reveals to Bertie that he has destroyed
the now nineteen pages in the club book since he anticipates that he
will never leave the latter's employment, thus obviating the need to
inform prospective valets about his employer's quirks."

I've only read a couple of the books.  I
wonder whether Bevan was reading "Jeeves
and the Impending Doom" or "Jeeves and the
Love That Purifies"...