<snip>
> Judy, did you notice the dates of the polls you sited above? They
are all  in
> January of this year, most within  an 11 day period. The debate
about  this
> matter went on most of the first half of the year. The poll I sited
was the
> latest I know of, dated May 11th of this year. The public certainly
had more
> time to become informed and is expressed in the Washington Post
poll.

Ah, yet another excuse when the first one didn't turn
out so well.

What happened in the interim was that the administration
and its Republican supporters had several months to lie
about the issue and bury the "warrantless" part of it,
making it seem as if wiretapping *per se* was what was in
question.

Dutifully, the Washington Post polled as if wiretapping
*per se* was what was in question, without mentioning
wiretapping without a warrant, so of course a majority
approved, having forgotten that there was ever an issue
over warrantlessness.

Back when the issue was fresh, when the warrantless
aspect was being reported prominently, before the
administration and the Republicans had had a chance to
confuse things, a majority was quite clear that they
did not approve of warrantless wiretapping.

There hasn't been an *honest* debate on this, just
Republican lies and a compliant "liberal" media going
along with the lies.