<snip>
> Also the
> fact that they are asking for SS #s (or so I understood) is
> troubling--that would rule me out immediately, as I simply wouldn't
> give it to them.  What could the reason possibly be except to
> intimidate people?  I've been on a lot of courses given by various
> organizations, and I have never been asked to give that.

I'm pretty sure I had to give my Social Security
number when I first applied to learn TM in 1975.
Back then, of course, we'd never heard of identity
theft; all *kinds* of people asked for SS #s for
identification, and nobody thought anything of it.
I think they also asked for it on course applications
then as well.

It does have the advantage of being a unique
identifier. I went to a doctor recently for a flu
shot and was asked for my SS #.  I said no, and that
was OK with them, but it would never have occurred
to me to think they were trying to intimidate me by
asking.  It used to be almost a reflex to identify
people by their SS # and is still used in many cases,
although obviously more and more people these days
are refusing to give it.