> [...]
> >
> >    After looking at a detailed report prepared by the major
> >    advocates of this perspective [including Singer--JS], the
> >    American Psychological Association concluded that the idea of
> >    brainwashing and mind control as popularly applied to the new
> >    religious movements was scientifically unacceptable.  It had
been
> >    arrived at through a sloppy metholology and poor scientific
work.

> >    Subsequently the American Sociological Association and the
> >    Society for the Scientific Study of Religion reached a similar
> >    conclusion.  As a result, testimony concerning brainwashing
and
> >    mind control have properly been banished from consideration by
> >    American courts as an idea lacking any scientific credibility.
> >

> Singer sued the APA over this and lost, BTW. But, it's nice for
cult-followers to be able to
> blame the cult rather than themselves--whether it's the TMO that
serves their needs for a
> cult to belong to or some other group--so they keep dragging out
the "cult victim" claim
> and then complain that someone is "blaming the victim" when people
point out that not
> everyone has had the same experience with the TMO that they do.

Yes, I agree, this is the typical blame someone else for your
experience;
Everyone on some level chooses his or her own experience;
So we all need to take responsibility at some point.
After all, it is our life, not a dress rehersal.
Now, even the Kaplans, seem so victimized;
Perhaps they do make some valid points;
But they also had all of these experiences that money could buy;
Mush personal time with Maharishi;
I didn't get to do that.
And I don't have the money that they do either.
But in any case, when you are blaming, and not taking responsibility,
there is no growth in this.
R.G.