If one pronounces words aloud in ones head
whilst reading, one might be less likely
to "reach" pure consciousness during mantra meditation
than someone who doesn't pronounce words "aloud"
in their heads whilst reading?
Why? Well, early on in my TM "career" I noticed
that thinking my mantra during inhalation felt
extremely bad. Thus I learned to think it only during
inhalation, although that might not strictly speaking
be TM as thought by Maharishi. Only recently I've realised
that the reason why my mantra gives me an unpleasant
feeling in the head if I "use" it during inhalation
might be the same why speaking during inhalation
feels bad, for most people, I believe. Thus, it might
be hard for me to think on a level abstract enough
to "reach" pure consciousness easily, because I don't
seem to be able to read without pronouncing the words
inside my head.
Perhaps that's a same kind of individual feature - in this
case rather a handicap -
as are synesthesias, or stuff. Someone who has synesthesias
is probably unable to avoid them, even if they wanted to.