In a message dated 8/30/06 7:55:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Mason"
<premanandpaul@...> wrote:

> Guru Dev speaks about who and who cannot become gurus, and the
> following are translated extracts of satsang number 74 of 108,
> included in a collection of his teachings entitled 'Shri
> Shankaracharya UpadeshAmrita'
>
> 'There is no mention of women being gurus anywhere in the
> shastras. Women cannot be a guru. Gargim, Chudala, Sulabha etc.
> were women who had become yogis and possessed of self-knowledge.
> But it is not met with anywhere that they made their own
> disciples.'
>
> '...But not everyone can be a guru. Actually, only brahmans to
> be in the position of guru. In addition to brahmans, kshatriyas,
> vaishya, shudras can become shishya (disciples), but not guru.
> Women also have no right to be made a guru.'
>
> 'Nowadays kaayastha, vaishya, teli (oilman), and also kalavar
> (seller of spirits) are taking to wearing the colours of the
> sadhu (holy man) and are eagerly wishing to make shishya
> (disciples) of their own. Actually both this kind of guru and
> shishya (disciple) are to get their downfall. Actually this
> speech we are saying coincides with the shastras, it is not
> something of my own that I have made up.'
>
> Jai Guru Dev
> Paul

You agree with Guru Dev that women and those of
lower caste should not be gurus, Paul?

I get the impression that Paul is saying Guru Dev is either *right* or *wrong*. Also the Shastras are either *right* or *wrong*. There is not a lot of wiggle room in Guru Dev's statement. Very interesting.