--- jim_flanegin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"
> <jstein@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, hermandan0
> <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> > > <snip>
> discussion
> about "guru
> doesn't make
> mistakes.
> there are mistakes.
> He makes

> > > Well put!
> > >

> > When MMY talks about making "no mistakes," he's
> talking about
> doing things that slow
> > your evolution towards enlightenment. Once you
> reach CC you  make
> no more mistakes.
> > That doesn't mean the person in CC can't miss the
> baseball when
> he/she swings at it.
> >
> > Also, as you progress beyond CC, your influence
> and perception of
> Self starts to expand
> > and "make no mistakes" takes on a broader and
> broader
> significance, but STILL in the
> > context of evolution towards enlightenment...
> >
> > ...and you STILL might miss that baseball, even in
> UC.
> >
> About making mistakes, Like Peter asks, 'what's a
> mistake?'.
>
> The reason Maharishi has said that enlightened souls
> don't make
> mistakes, is that from the perspective of an
> enlightened person,
> there are no mistakes. There is only the eternal
> ever changing
> relative existence, supported by Reality, of which
> we as enlightened
> individuals gracefully are.
>
> From the perspective of unenlightened individuals,
> mistakes are
> abundant, by definition, and so even if they are
> looking at an
> enlightened person, they will see mistakes.
>
> So when Maharishi says the enlightened don't make
> mistakes, he is
> simply clarifying the definition of enlightenment,
> the Reality of
> enlightenment, and not as many have supposed,
> justifying his actions
> to the unenlightened.

I think you can see it as part of the "useful fiction"
MMY created in developing a waking state model of
Realization. We make lots of mistakes in waking state.
And I think, in waking state, a mistake is an action
that produces a result that we don't like. So we say,
"I made a mistake." It is interesting to note that all
mistakes are retrospective. They arise from
counter-factual thinking: "I did that, but I should
have done this." Although the option of "this" only
arises after having done "that." And when we did
"that" it was not a mistake because there was no
"this" as a behavioral option. "This" arises only
after the result of the action is experienced. "This"
is a fantasy of what we should have done when "that"
doesn't work out to our liking. It can tie the mind up
in knots.