> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, hermandan0 <no_reply@> wrote:
> > Since I seem to be in a two cents mood for a few days ....
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <no_reply@> wrote:
> > < big snip >
> > > Obviously GD was a very powerfull
> > > yogi, full with the radiance of decades of tapasya, but also with
> very
> > > outdated and oldfashioned ideas.
> >
> > Yes. There are some interesting points being made in this
> discussion.
> >
> > One of my big heresies within the TMO was to suggest that being
> > enlightened (yes, working on the assumption that MMY is enlightened)
> > does not free one from all historic, cultural, and ideological
> > boundarie s. It's easy for people to look at an old-fashioned idea
> > that Guru Dev may have had and reject it because it doesn't fit with
> > modern thinking.
> >
> > Within the TMO there is a disinclination to consider that
> > MMY's word and actions are also influenced by culture and
> > thus that everything he says is not "the absolute speaking
> > absolutely" (rather, no more than it is when you or I or they
> > themselves speak), that women in saris is just fashion and
> > culture instead of a law of nature, that condemnation of
> > english and modern education and a strong campaign to
> > repatriate the wealth "stolen" by the west back to India
> > might be an just ideological quest, and that worshipping
> > "laws of nature" in the form of Lakshmi and Ganesh might
> > just be Hinduism and not neutral science.
>
> Again, well put.  But one wants to be careful not to
> throw the baby out with the bathwater.  For example,
> is listening to Vedic chanting merely cultural, or do
> the sounds actually have an effect on consciousness?
>
> How do you know where to draw the line?  Sometimes it
> seems obvious, but other times it may not be quite so
> clear.  And different people, of course, draw the line
> in different places, so that line isn't absolute either.

All sounds have an effect on consciousness--weed whackers, Bach,
Vedic chanting, (c)rap music (the "c" is silent). Go for what feels
life-supporting for you. Likewise, if you like wearing saris, fine.
But to pretend it's a law of nature that women should wear saris is,
IMO, unnecessary.

Drawing the lines is where thinking for ourselves comes in.
Ultimately, we're responsible for ourselves.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is what I'd call insisting
that a country of 1 billion people throw out all English language
education and western-style schooling educate everyone in their own
tribal language and calling it Vedic.