--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, wmurphy77 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> snip
> > > Interesting. Who says?
> >

> > That's the all-important question, you see.
> >
> > If the source of a statement about meditation or spiritual
> > practice is not Maharishi personally, or some book that
> > bears his official seal of approval, the knowledge cannot
> > possibly be true or valuable and most likely is dangerous.
> >
> > You've been infected by non-approved ideas, Billy. For
> > your own sake, you should go back to believing ONLY what
> > you have been told to believe by Maharishi. Anything
> > else is BAD for you. What is wrong with you...didn't
> > you GET that after all those years of studying with him?
> >
> > :-)
>
> I appreciate your tounge in cheek response, and of course
> there will be those who cannot think, 'out of the box'.

I'm personally fascinated by why there was such a
concerted effort to KEEP people from thinking
out of the box.

I mean, if you look at it, it's really WEIRD. From
Day One of one's instruction in TM, you get imprinted
with the dogma that it's the BEST technique of medi-
tation in the world, and that you'll never again have
any need for anything more. ( Even though you'll be
sold as many additional "unneeded" techniques as you
can afford :-) Then in successive lectures you learn
that *all* other spiritual philosophies are inferior
to Maharishi's and that only *he* has "rediscovered"
the truths about spirituality that all of the others
(think of the hubris of that -- ALL of the others)
have missed.

If you buy this stuff, and spend even more money to
buy your way to being a TM teacher, on that course you
get told how dangerous it is to read anything from
these lesser traditions, and how doing this could
possibly confuse you, and lead you "off the program."
After you become a TM teacher, you learn that this
"don't stray off the path" policy is ENFORCED, and
that if you disregard it you will be sent away in
shame, and denied access to any future participation
in things TM. All of these teachings and procedures
are designed to KEEP people from "thinking out of
the box," and to punish them if they do.

The obvious question is WHY?

WHY is Maharishi so threatened by the idea of his
students being exposed to the knowledge of other
spiritual traditions, or to its teachers? ( And,
as Paul has pointed out, even the knowledge spoken
by his *own* teacher? )

THAT seems to me to be an issue worthy of explor-
ing. There seems to be no question that Maharishi
has created an entire belief system that is designed
to teach his students to avoid and even be fearful
of knowledge that comes from anyone but him.

But WHY?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/zAINmC/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/UlWolB/TM

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional