--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Dean Goodman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > So, where does mind stop and intellect start? Any hard criteria?
>
> The mechanics of perception and discrimination that our intellect
> would LIKE us to believe in goes like this: sensory input comes in
> from the objective world, is registered by the mind and turned into
> thoughts, and the intellect objectively evaluates that input, dis-
> criminates, and makes intelligent decisions.
>
> But the mechanics of perception and discrimination that Maharishi laid
> out goes like this: first, we have a belief on the level of the heart,
> the faint feeling level, deeper than the intellect.  That means that the
> heart has a feeling - an attraction or repulsion - then the whole
rest of
> the individuality (the intellect, and its servants, the mind and senses)
> go out and FIND evidence to support, to validate, that belief.  They ig-
> nore evidence that doesn't support that belief - that evidence, that
sen-
> sory experience, that knowledge, that interpretation does not register.
>
> So it turns out that we're not objective at all.  The intellect has been
> lying, and puffing up its own importance, by pretending to be objective
> and in charge, when really it's just a lackey for the heart.

Irmeli:
Intellect is not lying, we lie if we use it to cover up something.
Intellect just IS as you point out in the end of your writing.
However there are huge differences in our capacity to use the intellect.
It is very helpful to be all the time aware that the intellect does
not reveal to me the absolute truth, but is always coloured by my deep
and often subconscious beliefs.

> When we have a deep personal belief, then even the strongest intellect
> will ignore logic and even ingore direct experience that invalidates
> that belief, and will use all of its skill to argue for the validity of
> that belief, and to find evidence to support that belief.

Irmeli:
There are huge differences in which degree different individuals
ignore logic or misuse it. Some people apply wrong logic much more
readily than others. Some even claim that their wrong use of logic is
their deeper intuition and therefore represents a deeper truth. People
with strong intellect don't easily ignore logic in that way, but also
their use of logic and intellect is coloured  by their deep beliefs.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: