(snip)
" I mean that is what they have in Islamic culture,  a Theocracy: A
> > government based in 'Supreme religious authority'...
> > Therefore there is no seperation of church and state, which is
the
> > corner-stone of our democracy...

~~~~~~  I wouldn't call it THE "cornerstone", it may be one of them
and is...
> Certainly not something that makes or breaks a democracy.
>
> Canada doesn't have the separation of church and state.  Up until
> about 8 years ago (when they amended the constitution for Quebec)
> all public schools in Quebec were either Protestant or Catholic.
> Jews were deemed "Protestant" and sand hymns every morning like
> everyone else...I went to a "Protestant" grade school where 90% of
> the kids and 90% of the faculty were Jewish and no one complained.
>
> The Quebec National Assembly has a Cross of Jesus over the
Speaker's
> Chair.  It is the tradition of the Members of Quebec's National
> Assembly to, upon both entering and leaving the chamber, to bow
> before the Speaker's Chair...and it isn't clear whether they are
> bowing to the Speaker or to Jesus.

Well, it sounds very much, like there was a 'oneness' of intention;
In your experience in Canada.
My growing up in Philiadelphia;
We used to have Bible readings sometimes, in assembly, at public
school;
I always liked that; I am Jewish, and
Was never offended, really, by anything;
>From the New Testiment...
It was always a peaceful feeling for me.
The difference in the Islamic countries, is the lack of tolerance;
Of anything, other than, what 'They' say is Islamic;
And 'death' to anyone who does not, 'believe'.
Typical fascism to me. Superior race? yeah right...
So, I don't really think you can compare the atmosphere in Canada;
To Iran, or Iraq, Saudi Arabia, or any other Islamic country.
If there is one; then that should be a model;
But I really can't think of one.
Can you?
R.G.

<*> Your email settings: