> In a message dated 9/19/06 2:03:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>

> And I have to disagree with the premise, that Islamic
> > >  countries are not ready for Democracy. I think any
> > > civilized  people are ready for it, but may need more
> > > time and help  depending on what their previous
> > > experiences have been".
> >
> > "May need more time and help" = "not ready"
<snip>

> Needing more time or needing help doesn't mean a country isn't
> ready for democracy.

Uh, well, yes, it does, by definition.  It would be
ready for democracy only if it *didn't* need more time
and help.

It's not an insult or a criticism to say Iraq isn't
ready for democracy, given what they've been through
and the disastrous mess the U.S. has made of the
occupation.

But Bush tries to portray it as an insult, or a lack
of faith in the Iraqis' innate ability to have a
democracy.  He even portrayed it as racism in that
passage I quoted.  He does this to try to intimidate
his critics, but it's a straw man.

No responsible politician or leader that I've heard
has ever suggested the Iraqis are *innately* incapable
of democracy.

> Democracy has not always come easily to those that enjoy it  now.

Right.  We in the U.S. weren't ready for it for quite
some time.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: