new.morning wrote:

>--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
>>take the express bus which got me there in 15
>>

>>>minutes.   Driving would have taken between 20-30 minutes and then
>>>

>>the  expense of parking.  Comparatively the Bay Area has a lot
>>of work to
>>do.
>>

>>Yeah-- I can understand why, with all of the different municipalities
>>and counties intersecting here. In any case it does make trying to get
>>from A to B on public trans not feasible, except for short distances.
>>BTW, most of the time when I see a bus or a light rail they are pretty
>>much empty...
>>

>Not in my experience across the country.
>
>When I visit the Bay Area on business or pleasure, I love BART. SF to
>Berkeley in a few minutes. Beats traffic, tolls and parking.
>
>I understand you are in Southbay where i guess folks are less
>unlightened. :) It is more difficult there.
>
>Even LA has a kewl subway. i have not used it since 199, but used it a
>lot on business 96-99. It needed some extensions to be totally useful,
>which I think are now in.
>
>Chicago had a great system. As well as Boston. Of course in NYC its a
>real part of the city.
>
>I love the freedom of urbane mass transit. Combine it with
>bike-carrier friendly transit and in "enlightened" areas one can go
>mnay many places more conveniently than in a car.
>
>But I look out and everywhere I look its SUV land. Almost like a
>military take-over. And most have only the driver in them. (I mean if
>you are really lugging 10 kids, it may make sense).

I lived next to a BART station and worked next to a BART station two
stops away.  But I drove.  Why?  It was always full at my commute time
and I also needed to drive out to other locations as part of my work
that weren't so accessible by BART.  Occasionally I would have a meeting
in downtown SF where BART came in handy.

The South Bay has light rail which has done fairly well but is not as
good as the Portland, Oregon light rail.

BART is expensive to extend whereas light rail is not.  Bad decision
back in the 1960s.  BART also suffers from low ridership because of its
inconvenience and lack of stations.  They might do better to tear it up
and replace it with light rail.  Should only take the local politicians
50 years to work that out.  :)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: