--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "geezerfreak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> And the TBs of TM are, without a shred of doubt,
> living in a cult.

I agree, but I'll add another dimension to it.

As you say, the point is not in recognizing that
one has been part of a cult, but in getting *past*
the cult mindset. And one can do that and still
feel positively about the group, or even still
work for the group.

IMO the first step of that process is being able
to say the word, and apply it to oneself without
fear and aversion and anger.

I find that when I meet someone who spent a long
time in a spiritual trip like the TMO (or the Rama
trip, or many others), one of the key indicators
as to whether I will be able to get along with them
or not is how they relate to that word "cult." The
bottom line for me has always been the same:

-- If they get angry and defensive and say,
   "No it wasn't a cult," I know that we're
   never going to be able to get along. They
   are still involved in protecting some silly
   notion of self, and are not likely to be
   able to get past that long enough to have
   and serious fun.

-- If they can say, "Sure, it was a cult," and
   LAUGH, there is a potential friendship there.
   The people I find that it's fun to be with
   are able to say, "Cult? No problem...of *course*
   it was a cult...but I learned a lot and had a
   lot of fun." They have left behind any part of
   self that isn't comfortable admitting that
   they were once part of a cult.

What's the big deal about admitting that one was
part of a cult, after all? *Everybody* does some
stupid shit in one's life. The smart ones move
past the stupid shit, while IMO the dumb ones
prolong the stupid shit by denying for years (or
even decades) that they bought into it.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: