--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Gimbel"
> <babajii_99@> wrote:
> >
> > "Well, it's all about pride and arrogance, in these cases...
> > Having just traveled through the 'Badlands' of North Dakota;
> > Just reminds me of another place and time:
> > Custer's Last Stand...
> > Those Euro's considered themselves quite superior to the savages,
> > those tree hugging natives...
> > Same attitude, I guess-
> > Primarily British- "A bloody shame", really, and truely.
> > R.G.>>>
>
> WTF !?
> ...and Napolean (the Frenchman) didn't think he was superior?
> Get an education pal!
> What about Franco, Hitler, ?
>
> What about the Bushco ?
>
> OffWorld

Sure thang! I agree with you OffWorld: your a preachin' to the choir
here...
Every culture I guess feels it's superiority from time to time;
Perhaps the internet will help to level the playing field;
So, we all can learn to: in the words of Rodney King...
'Can't we all just get along?
R.G.

> [...]
> > > systematically, and proudly, subordinate it to
> christianity....Max
> > > Muller, the hugely German scholar, for decades largely demened
> and
> > > incorrectly downgraded the Vedic culture's presence and stature
> in
> > > the region. So much so that to this day there is still an old
> school
> > > of respected scholars who still believe that the vast epics of
> the
> > > Vedas and Vedic tradition were largely the campfire stories of
> some
> > > wandering Afghan peasant sheepherders and their marauding heirs.
> > > However, the MAJORITY of modern scholarly thought is now
> realising
> > > that the Vedas were in India long before any Afghan migration.
> But
> > > Max Muller (along with other British repressions and other
> European
> > > short-sightedness) was a HUGE figure in Vedic scholarly field
> (even
> > > among westernised Indian scholars) and only very recently is
> being
> > > toppled from his god-like status towards  a less pompous and
> humbled
> > > view of the vedic culture on the part of western scholars.
> > >  (I really wanted to study this whole thing as a PHD, and travel
> > > India to delve deeper into it, and write a book, but I don't
> suppose
> > > I ever will now)
> > > QUOTE:
> > > ""Max Muller represented the bes, and at times the worst, of
> > > nineteenth-century intellectual life. His work in the origins
> and
> > > growth of language, mythology, and reliĀ­gion, typified Victorian
> > > armchair scholarship: bold, adventurous, pioneering, someĀ­times
> > > triumphalistic, but always convinced of its social and cultural
> > > superiority. To be sure, there is much to admire, much to
> despise,
> > > and much to be embarrassed by, in the antiquated scholarship of
> the
> > > Victorian era as a whole. But as a pivotal period in the history
> of
> > > human ideas, the historical and intellectual import of its
> scholarly
> > > literature should not be ignored by historians or summarily
> > > dismissed by present-day researchers as utterly worthless.
> Rather,
> > > it should be read and understood within its own social and
> cultural
> > > context. In the case of the voluminous and, at the time,
> influential
> > > writings of Friedrich Max Muller, this observation proves no
> less
> > > true. ""
> > > http://www.wordtrade.com/society/mullermax.htm
> > >
> > > (If you have a one-liner, poorly thought out answer for your
> > > response sparaig, you will be called "spare egghead" for 3 days

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: