--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bob_brigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
> <markmeredith@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bob_brigante <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> >
> > > **********************
> > >
> > > U.S. non-profits are required to file an IRS form 990, which
> lists
> > > their income and assets. For 2004, the Global Country of World
> Peace
> > > listed a balance of $190 million dollars. Anybody can verify this
> by
> > > going to http://www.guidestar.org , completing the free
> registration,
> > > and looking at the 990 information using the search
> term "Maharishi."
> >
> > Form 990 for 2004 shows net assets of only $10.2 million for the
> > Global Country of World Peace.  $8.5 million for the prior year.

> > can't find any independent filing entity related to maharishi
> > endowment for world peace.  The Global Country seems to deal solely
> > with vedic city stuff, nothing about India.
> >
> > Where exactly are you finding $190 million balance in cash?????
> >
> > The Global Development Fund is the largest maharishi entity in the
> US
> > with over $200 million in net assets but that's primarily old money
> > from the 90s with only $3 million in cash.
> >

> ********
>
> I mistakenly said "Global Country of World Peace" instead of "Global
> Development Fund" the 990 for 2004 shows assets of $208 million
> (Maharishi Global Development Fund IA 2004 $208,457,893 990 40 52-
> 2052522), minus liabilities of 18 mil, that leaves $190 million net.
>
> You won't find a 990 listing for the Endowment fund for world Peace,
> because, as their website says at the bottom of the page, it's part
> of the MGDF and MGANL:
>
> "Donations to the Endowment Fund for Permanent World Peace,
> established by the Maharishi Country of World Peace, are tax
> deductible for US Donors.
>

> As far as the MGDF having $3 million in cash, that's cash, not
> investments, which is what constitutes the bulk of the $190
> million.You are incorrect in saying that the $190 million in assets
> of the MGDF is "old money" from the 1990s. The MGDF was nearly empty
> after it "lost" the value of the Global Link stock (which never had
> any real value, anyway):

Wrong again Bob.  The MGDF had net assets of $552 million in 1999.  In
2000 it took a loss of $325 million on its investments, primarily
Global Link stock, as well as a few others, leaving it with $241
million in net assets at the end of 2000.  I wouldn't say that $241
million in assets is "nearly empty", in fact it's more than the latest
$190 million value of the fund, so your implication that the fund has
built itself back up since its big globallink loss is wrong, since the
fund has actually declined in value since then.

It you analyze the inflows and outflows you'll see that most of the
donations since 2000 are being spent on domestic operating expenses or
transferred to offshore accounts.  The main investments in MGDF have
been there since before 2000, primarily real estate, but also a host
of other things, including a $1.8 million yacht for example.

As far as your initial claim that this fund is funding the pundits
with the interest earned on its $190 million in net assets, that just
can be as most of its assets are real estate and other non-interest
paying investments -- in 2000 the fund earned $175,000 in
interest/dividends, in 2004 it earned $185,000.  Periodically it sells
some real estate for a capital gain.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: