> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <drpetersutphen@> wrote:
> >
> > --- jyouells2000 <jyouells@> wrote:
> >
> > > My experience is that the 'bound' self is built upon
> > > the unwillingness
> > > to be nothing, the fear of
> > > that... Sort of a continuous looking away.
> >
> > Brilliant(IMHO)!! The continuous looking away is also
> > a continuous looking for a subjective "feeling" of
> > self that affirms (falsely) that "I exist." The mind
> > does this every few seconds in waking state. It's a
> > very subtle egoic habit. You can see this habit in CC
> > because the mind turns to find something to affirm
> > itself and nothing, literally, is found instead. There
> > is no longer a felt-sense of "I" to affirm
> > individuality. There is, again, literally, nothing
> > there to find but pure consciousness and pure
> > consciousness is something that the mind can not
> > comprehend.
>
> I know this was a couple of days ago, but today
> I found myself wondering whether the same "looking
> away" could help to explain those with an Internet
> addiction. They intuit that they're close to the
> experience of nothingness, and that scares them,
> so they post a lot and/or post stuff calculated
> to get a response (positive or negative doesn't
> matter, just as long as it's a response), all so
> that the self can preserve the illusion of itself.
> As long as the self is busy dealing with one-on-
> one interactions, the "looking away" succeeds, the
> illusion of self's existence is preserved, and
> the person never has to deal with the nothingness
> they can feel just over the horizon.

For that matter, could *all* forms of addiction
be a way to preserve the illusion of self, and
keep selflessness at bay? It's certainly been
fascinating for me to see the number of *former*
seekers and practitioners of meditation who, soon
after abandoning their path, get into some form
of heavy addiction, whether it be smoking ciga-
rettes or smoking dope or drinking. Some of it
is a "I denied myself all these things for years
and so now I have the right to indulge" thang,
but on another level it might be related to
a subconscious desire to keep enlightenment away.

Another form of addiciton that lends itself to
this interpretation is the anti-cult cult. In my
experience, *most* of the leaders of this anti-
movement movement, when they tell their personal
stories, come to a pivotal moment for them that
goes something like this: "In meditation I got
to a point where I lost all sense of who I was.
This scared me so much that I never wanted that
to happen again, so I quit meditating, and now
I work to warn others that they might get to
a similar place." What if the "work" they do as
an "anti-cult counselor" is their way of not
only avoiding full transcendence/loss of self,
but a way to prevent others from going further
than they dared to go?

Just thoughts on a rainy afternoon. Not trying
to sell them to anyone...

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: