jim_flanegin wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, gullible fool <fflmod@>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I did not know about this. This I why I stopped eating
>>> apples.  They're too firm and I can't buy ripe ones
>>> anywhere. They don't ripen at home, eiher, and leaving
>>> them out for a month in the hopes they will ripen
>>> attracts fruit flies. Yes, I have actually left them
>>> out that long.
>>>
>>> It sounds like this chemical works too well.
>>>
>> My sister, who recently moved to Vermont, has some
>> old apple trees on her property that haven't been
>> cared for and look pretty miserable.  But she
>> discovered a couple of small, misshapen, but nice
>> red apples on one of them, picked one, and ate it.
>> She says it was fantastic, vastly better than any
>> of the commercial apples she's had in years.
>>

> Yep- There is no comparison at all. Oddly enough I find the apples
> from my tree stay firm and ripen slowly, and they are organic.
> Perhaps the trees sprayed with pesticides and stuff produce a
> different kind of apple?
>
> Judy, you may want to tell your sister that next year when all the
> little apples come out on the tree to thin them out, especially the
> clusters of two, three and four. Thin them down to one apple per
> branch site, and the apples will grow much larger.
Which *is* a lot of work and probably fine for someone who has no
hobbies or other interests.  I didn't get many apples this year due to
the weird spring weather which messed up a lot of crops in the area.
Commercial growers use a spray that thins and indeed apples as well as
strawberries are one of the most heavily sprayed fruits.   Keeping the
worms out of them is indeed another challenge.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: