> > You *do* know Kerry wasn't referring to the troops
> > per se, don't you?  He was referring to Bush having
> > gotten us--the country--stuck in Iraq because he
> > failed to take advantage of his education and never
> > learned how to think analytically or to be curious
> > enough to inform himself.
> >

> When I heard the joke repeated by a liberal friend, both of us
thought he meant the troops.
> He made it VERY obscure at least by the time *I* heard it. Still
haven't heard the original.

> Had he said: "study hard in school, or you will end up like our
leaders: stuck in Iraq with no
> plan to get us unstuck," it might have been more clear. Maybe not as
"clever" to the ear,
> which is the problem with attack-jokes: clever and funny isn't
always clear, especially when
> taken out-of-context.

Kerry strayed from his prepared text (which was released to the press
at the time):

"It's great to be here with college students. I can't overstress the
importance of a great education. Do you know where you end up if you
don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You
end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq. Just ask President Bush."

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: