--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- authfriend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB
> > <no_reply@> wrote:
<snip>
> > > Yeah, new...it's perfectly legitimate to "not
> > > count" an anomalous event like *that*! What
> > > are you *thinking*? If you bitch about something
> > > as miniscule as disregarding data because it
> > > doesn't fit the all-important expectations,
> > > why you could set a precedent.
<snip>
> > As I said in an earlier post, I'd sure like
> > new morning to elucidate what he thinks is
> > wrong with this explanation of why the fact
> > that the murder rate jumped during one 36-
> > hour period should not be considered significant
> > with regard to the overall study results.
>
> The real problem with the study is the design itself.
> If it had a better design than a simple pre-post
> (which  makes no sense for research of this sort) non
> of these question would be discussed.

Are you saying the 36-hour hike in the murder rate
*was* an anomaly and that it *was* legitimate not
to take it into account?

In any case, it's been my impression that the study
design used quite sophisticated statistical methods
(such as time-series analysis) for evaluating trends
over a five-year period so as to try to isolate
variations that had no explanation other than that of
the presence of the experimental group.  (This was
rarely reflected in media accounts, however.)

What kind of study design would you have used that
would have avoided these sorts of questions?