> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rory Goff" <rorygoff@>
wrote:

> > > Jim, here's some more fodder for you -- on the Dalai Lama &
> > > Tibetan Buddhism's secret agenda for world domination :-)
> > >
> > > http://www.iivs.de/~iivs01311/Kalachakra/dec.eng..htm
> >
> > Hi Rory,
> >
> > Thanks- looks interesting.
> >
> > Of course my intent in all this is more to provide a tour
> > of some of the prominent glass houses here in our FFL
> > neighborhood. :-)
>
> Jim, with all due respect, I don't think you're fooling
> anyone.
> This is just a suggestion. You can keep on trying to
> dig up and post as much dirt about the Dalai Lama and
> about Tibetan Buddhism as you like.

Hi, Actually it was *Rory* who dug up and posted the last bit of
dirt about the Dalai Lama and about Tibetan Buddhism, without any
prompting from me I should add. (Even taking the paradox of Brahman
into account, he and I continue to operate as seperate heads on the
same body.) :-)

Anyway, you reminded me. So here's more dirt:

>From 10-17-1994
Best-selling Buddhist author accused of sexual abuse
www.well.com/conf/media/SF_Free_Press/nov11/guru.html
$10 million civil suit filed in Santa Cruz by a woman who says
Sogyal Rinpoche, author of the Tibetan Book of Living and
Dying, "coerced" her into an intimate relationship

By Don Lattin
Special to the Free Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- …a group of American Buddhist women have launched a
campaign to expose the alleged sexual misconduct of a prominent
Tibetan lama and best-selling author.

Sogyal Rinpoche, author of the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, is
accused of "physical, mental and sexual abuse" in a $10 million
civil suit filed last week in Santa Cruz County Superior Court.

According to the lawsuit, an anonymous woman identified only
as "Janice Doe" came to Rinpoche for spiritual guidance last year at
a retreat sponsored by the Rigpa Fellowship meditation center in
Santa Cruz, but was "coerced into an intimate relationship" with the
Tibetan guru.

"Sogyal claimed (she) would be strengthened and healed by having sex
with him and that to be hit by a lama was a blessing," the lawsuit
states.

The suit -- which accuses Rinpoche of fraud, assault and battery,
infliction of emotional distress and breach of fiduciary duty --
also charges that the Tibetan lama has "seduced many other female
students for his own sexual gratification."

Sandra Pawula, spokeswoman for the Rigpa Fellowship of Santa Cruz,
one of many meditation centers in the United States, Europe and
Australia, declined to comment about the allegations, but said that
Rinpoche is not married and does not claim to be a celibate monk.
Rinpoche, who lives abroad, could not be reached for comment. The
lawsuit follows a letter-writing campaign to the Dalai Lama by
American women concerned about alleged sexual exploitation by
Rinpoche and several lesser-known Tibetan lamas.

"What some of these students have experienced is terrible and most
unfortunate," said Tenzin Geyche Tethong, the Dharamsala-based
secretary to the Dalai Lama.

In a letter sent earlier this year to one of the women, Tethong said
Tibetan Buddhist leaders "have been aware of these (allegations) for
some years now."

Jack Kornfield, founder of Spirit Rock Meditation Center in Marin
County, was among a group of two dozen Western teachers who
discussed the sexual misconduct of Buddhist teachers with the Dalai
Lama last year in India.

According to Kornfield, the Tibetan Buddhist leader told the
Americans to "always let people know when things are wrong. Put it
in the newspapers if you must do so."

Another woman allegedly abused by Rinpoche, Victoria Barlow of New
York City, said she is "disgusted by the way the Tibetans have
manipulated the reverence Westerners have for the Buddhist path."

Barlow, 40, said she first met Rinpoche in the mid-1970s, when she
was 21, and that she was sexually exploited by him during meditation
retreats in New York and Berkeley.

"I went to an apartment to see a highly esteemed lama and discuss
religion," she said in an interview with the Free Press. "He opened
the door without a shirt on and with a beer in his hand."

Once they were on the sofa, Barlow said, the Tibetan "lunged at me
with sloppy kisses and groping."

"I thought I should take it as the deepest compliment that he was
interested and basically surrender to him," she said.

Sources say the Tibetan Buddhists were trying to handle this issue
within their community but decided, especially after the Dalai Lama
made the comment about going to the press, to go public now.

"The Dalai Lama has known about this for years and done nothing.
There is a real code of secrecy and silence," said Barlow.

http://www.anandainfo.com/tantric_robes.html

An excerpt from "The Emperor's Tantric Robes"
This article appeared in the Winter 1996 issue of "Tricycle"
magazine;

An Interview with June Campbell on Codes of Secrecy and Silence

Tricycle: In Traveler in Space, you speak of your own sexual
relationship with the late Kalu Rinpoche [1904-1989]. And the
revelation was truly shocking to anyone in the West or the East who
had known this master. He was considered to be a great Tibetan
teacher; who was presented to the world as a celibate yogi. Most of
his closest disciples did not know that he had consorts. His secret
sexual life seems to have been well protected in his lifetime.

Campbell: When I have asked why details of sexual encounters often
emerge after a lama's death I have been told that it is because
ordinary people might misconstrue events, and lose faith in their
lama, thus breaking their own personal vow of faith in him, and also
helping to bring about the lama's downfall. Naturally any fall in
the status of a lama who outwardly maintained a position of celibacy
would threaten the whole hierarchical system of theocratic rule,
itself dominated since the 1500's by monasticism, and as a
consequence the heart of the society itself.

The tulku system lay at the center of the monastic way of life, and
symbolically depended not only on the exclusion of women, but also
on the metaphorical idea of male motherhood and divine succession.
Seen in this way, any lamas outwardly transgressing the rules of the
system threatened the very life of the system itself.

Tricycle: Is it your understanding that Kalu Rinpoche broke his vows?

Campbell: I don't know what his vows were. We never spoke of them.
What I do know is that clearly I was not an equal in our
relationship. As I understand it, the ideals of tantra are that two
people come together in a ritualistic exchange of equally, valued
and distinct energies. Ideally, the relationship should be
reciprocal, mutual. The female would have to be seen on both sides
as being as important as the male in the relationship.

My relationship with Kalu Rinpoche was not a partnership of equals.
When it started. I was in my late twenties. He was almost seventy.
He controlled the relationship. I was sworn to secrecy. What I am
saying is that it was not a formal ritualistic relationship, nor was
it the "tantric" relationship that people might like to imagine.

http://www.iivs.de/~iivs01311/EN/deba01.html