--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "dhamiltony2k5"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have been out traveling from FF to spiritual places out
> West and recently out East, and it is informative to hear
> people in reaction to Maharishi when you go other places.

This strikes me as an excellent exercise in the
"healthy mind challenging its own assumptions"
credo that distinguishes FFL from other TM-related
sites and most of its participants from TBs. One
of the things I think we all agree on is that if
one bases one's opinion of Maharishi and TM *solely*
on what one hears from *within* the TM movement,
one gets a rather different picture than one would
get if one examined feedback from a broader sampling
within the larger spiritual community.

One Web resource that is fun, although rather
subjective, is "Sarlo's Guru Rating Service" at:
http://www.globalserve.net/~sarlo/Ratings.htm

Its value (if it has one) is that it is a
compilation of feedback from *lots* of different
individuals and sources on various spiritual
teachers, past and present. For each one (currently
over 1500), "Sarlo" presents the teacher's basic
path (A=Advaita, B=Buddhist, C=Channels/New Age,
D=Devotional, E=Earth Medicine, F=Fringe,
G=Gnostic/Scientific, H=Humour, I=Indian,
L=Literature, M=Middle Path, N=Nonduals, O=Other/misc,
P=Perennials, Q=Quasi-Christian, S=Sufi, T=Tibetan,
X=Disappeared, Y=Yoga, Z=Zen), feedback he's received
pro and con, a list of sympathetic and anti links,
and an overall rating. His ratings are:

***     = the greats, helping many
** 1/2  = limited, some handicaps, or maybe not yet full stature
**      = very limited, narrow approach or ideology, or still developing
* 1/2   = suspect but on balance positive
*       = suspect
1/2     = bogus, may have some value, who knows
0       = worse than bogus, no redeeming value
Unrated = too new, old or retiring, not enough info, or a "teacher" type

Just for fun, here's his entry on Maharishi (rating = *):

"Founder of Maharishi Thousand-Headed Purusha...
Transcendental Meditation®... discovered the Constitution
of the Universe... Yogic Flying to create supreme mind-body
coordination in the individual and coherence in world
consciousness... Absolute Theories of Government, Education,
Health, and Defense to raise every area of life to perfection."
Guru was Shankaracharya of Jyotir Math. Anti link is an
ex-TM-teacher, talk of hypnosis, adverse reactions.
Tripletalk, enormous money, but benefit of doubt.  2nd
anti site into exposing "myths."