"The Secret" seems to be the epitome of what is so spiritually bereft with the
TM Cult and
its line of thinking in Fairfield Ð nourish that big fat hungry ego with ladles
full of me,
mine, get more for me, I can have and be as big and as selfish as the whole big
me
universe...

Apparently Byron Katie and her husband Steven Mitchell don't think that much of
the so-
called "Secret" either:

"The Difference Between The Work
and The Secret"

Dear Katie,
IÕve been hoping ÒThe SecretÓ craze would pass as quickly as the Hula-Hoop,
then this
afternoon I saw it featured on Oprah.

It seems to me that this so-called ÒsecretÓ is just another way of tricking the
mind into
thinking it is in control, a message that is diametrically opposed to your
invitation to make
friends with reality, love what is, just notice, etc.

I donÕt understand how someone who has The Work can take this movie seriously;
yet, IÕm
hearing from people I usually consider sensible that they [the moviemakers] are
Òsaying
the same thing Katie says.Ó Lots of people.

Please consider commenting on this movie/book in the Parlor.
Much love,
Susan

Dearest Susan,

Here are StephenÕs thoughts:

The Secret: ÒYou can have whatever you want.Ó
The Work: ÒYou can want whatever you have.Ó

The Secret: ÒMy will be done. I know whatÕs best for me.Ó
The Work: ÒThy will be done (=Thy will is done). WhatÕs best for me is what
actually
happens.Ó (In A Thousand Names for Joy, Katie says, ÒGodÕs will and your will
are the
same, whether you notice it or not.Ó)

The Secret: ÒYou can control your thoughts.Ó
The Work: ÒYou are not the thinker. ItÕs not possible to suppress your
stressful thoughts.
But when you question them, they let go of you.Ó

The Secret: ÒYou can manifest your positive thoughts as reality.Ó The Work:
ÒReality already
is the best thing that could be manifested. When you realize this, youÕre home
free.Ó