--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <rick@> wrote:
> > >
> > > From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com

> > > I see him as a man who is sometimes crass and selfish, and
> > > sometimes a saint with compassionate and magnanimous motives.
> > > Both ordinary and extraordinary.
> >
> > It is the limitation of some people that they
> > cannot conceive of those they have put up on
> > pedestals of being capable of being both crass
> > *and* saints, at the same time. In their minds,
> > a being can only be one or the other. Their
> > limitations in this respect should not prevent
> > those of us who have *no problem* conceiving
> > of such a thing from doing so.
> >
> I think it really comes down to what we consider "a Saint". True,
> humans are capable of the entire spectrum of behavior, from near
> complete purity to abhorrent evil, and everything in between, as you
> mention above for example, partly crass, partly pure.

Jim, you nailed the issue IMO by using the
phrase "what *we* consider a saint." I've
never met a "saint" who considered himself
or herself one. But I've met quite a few
humans whose followers consider them "saints."

It's a projection process -- what the onlookers
project *onto* the person and their actions --
that determines "sainthood," as that term is
used on this planet.

In my opinion humans have an inherent tendency
to look for perfection and project it onto the
people and things in which they hope it resides.
But the people and things themselves are just
people and things -- multifaceted, each of them
containing as many "imperfect" sides as they do
"perfect" ones.

Have you ever read any of the words written
*by* the so-called "saints?" They're often
revealing, especially when compared to the
words written *about* them by their followers.
Saint Francis of Asissi was regarded as a
saint by some people of his time (and today),
but if you read *his* writings, he thought
that he was essentially a slimeball. All that
he could see about himself were the last few
"imperfections" that he was working on trying
to get rid of. You can find the same thing in
many of the writings of Eastern "saints."

In other words, *they* don't delude themselves
into thinking that they're "perfect." Only their
followers do that. For the "saints" themselves,
they're just trying to get through the day, and
do as much good as they can, while doing as
little harm as they can. And enlightenment does
not necessarily make that process of discernment
any easier, as far as I can tell. These people
whose followers call them saints are *human*,
and make human mistakes, just as any other
human does.

That's one of the main reasons I don't like the
word "saint," and rarely use it. It implies that
the person you attach the label to is no longer
going through the daily struggle to keep their
thoughts and their actions "clean," and has
somehow "risen above" the need to do so. Me, I
don't think humans *ever* get to that place.

And that's just FINE with me. I don't need
"saints" or even the idea of them to make me
feel good about someone when they do something
selfless. If they do something selfish the
next day, that doesn't detract from the selfless
thing they did yesterday.

> However there are those few precious individuals on the planet
> who are completely sinless.

Well, I'd have to agree with this one, but that's
because I don't believe that there is any such
thing as "sin." It's a human-invented concept,
and a bad concept at that, one that has caused
more suffering in the people who have come to
believe in it than their supposed "sins" have
ever caused. "Sin," as used in modern society,
is synonymous with "doing something that you have
been convinced there is a need to feel guilty about."
That's a concept that is pretty much foreign and
meaningless to a Tantric, one who views every action
one could perform in the world as equally holy. It's
not the action per se; it's the state of attention
and intent and joy that one brings to the action
that makes the difference.

> It is a very very small group...

Again, we agree. I think its membership is zero.

And that's OK. Far better to be a human being who
is trying to do the little things of his or her life
in as positive a fashion as possible than to be some
fictional character in someone's fantasy who does
*everything* positively.

In other words, although you are welcome to your
ideas about "saints" and how "sinless" and "perfect"
they are, I have to regard these ideas as your
projected fantasies. That doesn't mean that I don't
think you are perfectly entitled to believe what you
believe, or that I think your beliefs are "lesser"
than mine. I'm just making the point that (yet again),
you are making some assumptions about the nature of
the universe that you seem to assume that everyone
else agrees with and "buys into" to the same degree
that you do.

In this case, it's the existence of "saints." You
believe they exist, and that belief inspires you.
I believe that they do not exist, and that belief
inspires me. For me it's far nobler to be actively
trying to lead a good life than to spontaneously do
so because one has no choice, because one is a
"saint" and that's just how saints are.

Different strokes for different folks. That's all...