I've been watching the opening ceremonies of the Cannes
Film Festival (the *60th* Cannes Film Festival) and all
the hoopla and press conferences surrounding it and it
appears that, unlike last year, there may be some pretty
interesting films, both in competition and out of it.

Out of competition there will be "Sicko," of course, and
"U2 3D," which sounds pretty interesting -- a live U2
concert filmed in 3D.

In competition there will be a new David Fincher flick,
"Zodiac," which is always of interest because it's a
David Fincher flick. There will be new films from the
Coen brothers and from Gus Van Sant and Tarantino. There
will be what looks in the preview clips like a wonderful
animated film from (I think) Iran that seems to reveal
a great deal about what life is really like there. Iran
has troubled youth and hippies and humor. :-)

But the one that most has my attention after the opening
day's hoopla is a new film by Chinese director Wong Kar
Wai called "My Blueberry Nights." I just watched the
press conference on this one, featuring the director
talking about his first English-language film, and two
of the stars, Jude Law and Norah Jones. Yes, that Norah
Jones. The director cast her without ever meeting her,
just on the basis of her voice. She's never acted before.

Judging from her presence at the press conference and the
awed reaction of the journalists who had just seen the
film that she and Jude Law had not yet seen, I think we
can expect a *stunning* performance from her, and from
the more seasoned actors she got to work with like Jude
Law, Natalie Portman, Tim Roth, and  Rachel Weisz. "My
Blueberry Nights" is a road movie, and that alone would
have me looking forward to it, but the sense of *family*
that I perceived between the actors and the director
during this press conference *really* has me looking
forward to it.

More from Cannes as I find it by clicking through the
French satellite channels. It's not as if I'm really
there or anything, but the surprising availability of
so much footage of the films themselves and the press
conferences and ceremonies is almost like being there.
I may put on my tux before clicking further.