John wrote:
> I'm using the Shrimad Bhagavatam as the criteria for vedic
> culture.

The Srimad Bhagwatam has almost nothing to do with Vedic culture.
The Vedic people lived before 1500 B.C. but the Bhagwatam wasn't
even composed until after 800 A.D., long after the Vedic culture
had turned into Hinduism. Many of the notions expressed in the
Bhagwatam are the result of Buddhist ideas, circa 200 B.C.:

Ahimsa
Monasticism
Sutra composition
Yogic introspection
Asceticism
Temple worship
Puja activities
Worship of devatas

None of which are mentioned in the Vedas.

The Vedics practiced the sacrifice of burnt offerings to the
forces of nature - they did not live in cities or worship
any devatas such as Rama, Balarama, Vasudeva, Krishna or Durga
in temples made of stone or wood - the ancient Vedics worshipped
outdoors. They enjoyed all kinds of inebriants and loved to have
bar-b-ques down by the river.