Bhairitu said
In fact in other systems it's no great crime if
you miss some meditations.

Yes.  I wonder if I would not be better served by going to a different
practice.  If for no other reason than after 30 years of this maybe its
time to explore some other areas of the brain.  I have really enjoyed
reading Sally Kempton's "Heart of Meditation" where she suggests
"playing" with meditation, trying different approaches.  Not taking the
darn thing so seriously.  Her Guru, Swami Muktananda wrote a book on the
importance of this playfulness.

> I wonder if this incessant need to eat, sleep
> and brush my teeth is healthy?

Eating sleeping and brushing are not a great metaphor for meditation.
Eating and sleeping are physiological necessities.  We stop - we die.
There is no choice involved here.

Can we equate TM to toothbrushing?  Both have benefits to their habitual
practice.  On the other hand those who don't brush their teeth face
terrible dental problems eventually.  What lies in store for the
millions of people with out a meditation practice?  Is it as bad as
gingivitis?

Does anybody else here feel this strong need to meditate after so many
years of habitual practice?  Its as if the neural networks have been
redesigned to NEED meditation 2 x a day.  Is this healthy?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For me, meditation does clear me out and center me. But its not about me
after 30 years, its about the collective.

I have been reading a lot of Andrew Cohen lately who has been
experimenting with expanding group consciousness through
intersubjectivity.  It is a very interesting approach.

Meditation is primarily narcissistic.  The argument that somehow one has
to first meditate before they can come into the world to help others is
questionable.  There are plenty of altruistic people out there making a
positive mark without CC or GC.  Atheists are capable of doing good.

I am not sure of the relevence of your response to my question about the
addictive nature of a 30 year practice.

"curtisdeltablues" said,
But I can also speak
for the rest of the world in wondering what's up with the
"buttsplicer" email Stu?

I work as a film editor.  It was the first name that stuck after trying
a dozen or so in gmail.   I reserve the gmail account for the internet
because whenever it gets published it invites too much spam.

s.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Stu" buttsplicer@ wrote:
> >
> > Every so often this daily meditation practice feels like an
addiction.
> > I find myself structuring the events of my day so that I can get my
> > afternoon session in, or changing plans to I will have time in the
> > morning.  If I miss a sitting, I feel  lethargic and dull.
Sometimes I