Turq, excellent points (below) and I feel that both Edg and you are
both following Basho's point of seeking what the "men of old" sought.

What makes both Ramana Maharshi and Nisargadatta different (IMO) from
other teachers, Maharishi included, is that they both emphasize the
seeker's own immediacy and self-sufficiency in sadhana as opposed to
intermediaries (either by technique, teacher, or ritual).  Essentially
they both say "you've got two good legs right underneath you; now walk
over in that direction and you'll find what you'll find", whereas
other teachings (just to arbitrarily over-generalize) emphasize the
"follow me and walk this way" approach, ("mind the thornbushes over
there; nice view right about here, etc.").

It's my feeling, congruent with whatever experience I've had, that
either approach *does* lead to the same place (as Doctor Bronner says,
"All One") but I'm not really concerned whether or not that's true or
real or universal, and I'm certainly not concerned in convincing
anyone of that either.  Similarly, it doesn't seem to me that you and
Edg are on different sides of the issue; or if you are, it's the two
sides of the same coin.

The great majority of folks who post on FFL (and I suspect those who
lurk here, as well), are Westerners who, despite our stints as
disciples in the Eastern tradition, are just too steeped in the
Western *ideals* of individualism and eclecticism to remain lockstep
followers of any teaching or teacher forever, even though we may have
developed a lasting taste for Indian food and/or Hindu Gods.  That's
neither a good thing or a bad thing; just is what it is.  For whatever
reason we were tinderbox-dry proto-seekers when we first heard of
Maharishi or Yogananda or Krishnamurti or meditation or yoga or
whatever the spark was that ignited the wildfire of interest in and
dedication to the idea of self-realization that we all succumbed to in
our youth.

This phase of the world meditation movement, however, strikes me as
being far more interesting (and substantial) than the heady time of
World Plans and Merv Griffin mass initiations.  There are so many
people living in the world right now, going about their everyday
lives, who have been lastingly infected with not only the *idea* of
self-realization, but actually have had first-hand experience with
techniques that, at the very least, facilitate self-inquiry and
self-exploration.  Regardless of how long or how well they meditated,
millions and tens of millions of people have purposefully sat down,
closed their eyes, and looked into the self at some point in their
lives.  That's just way cool.  And important, too, or so I feel.

Really appreciate the dialoque, thanks.

**