<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> " I'm always amused by the New Age tendency to claim
> > that they were *famous* people in the past. The Rama
> > guy claimed he was Cardinal Richilieu; I can't see
> > that *at all*. And Shirley MacLaine's been any
> > *number* of famous people. Wasn't anyone ever the
> > scullery maids and the cooks and the janitors?  :-)"
>
> Not to mention the "math" problem that there are so many
> more people alive today than any time in history.

Er, what you'd want to compare is the number of
people alive today with the total number of people
who have ever lived (including in prehistoric times),
not with the population at any particular time in
history.

<snip>
> There is a great story about Bridy Murphy who had gone
> to a world's fair and seen a detailed medieval village in
> miniature as a child.  Years later she remembered details
> about her "past" life in those times it was taken as proof
> of the theory until the true nature of her "memories" were
> uncovered.

The Bridey Murphy past life wasn't in medieval
times but in 19th century Ireland. I believe
you've got her confused with somebody else.

The Bridey Murphy case, as it happens, was purportedly
debunked as well by "experts," but subsequent detailed
examination of the "debunking" has revealed that it
wasn't anywhere near as thorough and definitive as
claimed.

See this chapter in the book by C.J. Ducasse, "A
Critical Examination of the Belief in a Life
After Death," available on the Web at:

http://www.survivalafterdeath.org/books/ducasse/critical/25.htm

http://tinyurl.com/3544ek

Ducasse's summary of his findings on the Bridey
Murphy case is that the woman's recollections
under hypnosis of her life as Bridey Murphy do
not constitute proof, but that they have not been
disproved either. (He also suggests that, rather
than specific memories of a past life, the
information the woman supposedly "remembered" may
actually have been a matter of paranormal
knowledge of these facts. So he isn't a True
Believer in reincarnation per se by any means.)

Commenting on the supposed debunking,
Ducasse makes an interesting observation:

"As repeatedly has been pointed out in earlier
chapters, the temptations to wishful thinking
and to emotionally biassed [sic] conclusions
are even greater on the side of the entrenched
religious orthodoxy of the time and place
concerned, or on the side of the vested
'scientific commonsense of the epoch,' than on
the side of the protagonists of prima facie
paradoxical views."