<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Judy,
>
> I hoped you would weigh in on this topic.  Thanks for the great
> quotes and links to the reviews.  I will enjoy giving them some
> more thought to see where I fall on their comments and piece
> together my response. I have more to gain intellectually from the
> critiques than the books themselves! That is where the edges of my
> understanding lie.

This is kind of the point I made to Barry a few
posts back, that "mutually respectful exchange of
views" is all very well, but it's the adversarial
context of vigorous debate that really enables one
to challenge and refine one's beliefs.

One does wonder, however, how much challenging
and refining of their beliefs the authors of these
books will engage in as a consequence of the
points raised in the various reviews. It would
be fascinating to hear the arguments of an
atheist who had gone to the trouble to bone up
on the non-fundamentalist theological positions
(and even some of the more sophisticated
fundamentalist positions, perhaps; they're not all
simplistic by any means).