> Thanks for playing. I wish you well in your pursuit
> of the cosmic McGuffin.

For those of you who don't know the term 'McGuffin,'
it's really cool, and quite relevant to the game of
viewing one's self discovery in terms of a detective
trying to solve a mystery. From Wikipedia:

A MacGuffin (sometimes McGuffin or Maguffin) is
a plot device that motivates the characters and/or
advances the story, but has little other relevance
to the story.

The director and producer Alfred Hitchcock popularized
both the term "MacGuffin" and the technique. According
to the Oxford English Dictionary, Hitchcock explained
the term in a 1939 lecture at Columbia University:
"[We] have a name in the studio, and we call it the
'MacGuffin.' It is the mechanical element that usually
crops up in any story. In crook stories it is most
always the necklace and in spy stories it is most
always the papers."
. . .
The MacGuffin is common in films, especially thrillers.
Commonly, though not always, it is the central focus
of the film in the first act, and later declines in
importance as the struggles and motivations of
characters play out. Sometimes the MacGuffin is all
but forgotten by the end of the film.
on of disbelief.
. . .
Interviewed in 1966 by François Truffaut, Alfred
Hitchcock illustrated the term "MacGuffin" with this
story:

"It might be a Scottish name, taken from a story
about two men in a train. One man says, 'What's
that package up there in the baggage rack?' And
the other answers, 'Oh that's a McGuffin.' The
first one asks 'What's a McGuffin?' 'Well' the
other man says, 'It's an apparatus for trapping
lions in the Scottish Highlands.' The first man
says, 'But there are no lions in the Scottish
Highlands,' and the other one answers 'Well, then
that's no McGuffin!' So you see, a McGuffin is
nothing at all."

It seems to me that the McGuffin has distinct
parallels in self discovery. Can't one, after all,
view the mantra as the McGuffin of TM meditation?
It's only something to "follow" until it disappears,
and then it has no relevance at all. From the point
of view of transcendence, it never even existed.

And isn't enlightenment *itself* a McGuffin? We
pursue it doggedly, onepointedly, and when we find
it we find out that it's always been present, and
there was never anything to pursue.

Like the contents of the briefcase in "Pulp Fiction,"
the McGuffins we choose to pursue in our role as
Sam Sadhana, Third Eye are basically unimportant.
We'll probably never know the real nature of the
McGuffin, just as we never know what's really
inside the briefcase. It's a McGuffin. It just gave
us something to focus on and pursue for a while.

McGuffins are good. Billions have been sold, and
followed by billions of self detectives in search
of Self. And not one of them meant a damned thing.
They were just a mechanism we used to trick our
selves into realizing the Self.

Sam Sadhana:  "Give me a McGuffin. Hold the lettuce."
The Universe: "You want fries with that?"

:-)