>> Michael Dean Goodman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

 >> Then came his famous quote about Brahman - these were his exact words:
 >>
 >>    "Like the Absolute IS, Brahman is NOT.
 >>     Brahman is not the Absolute.
 >>     Brahman is not the relative.
 >>     Brahman is not both of them together.
 >>     Brahman is not neither of them.
 >>     Brahman is The Knower."

 > authfriend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > MMY really quoted Nagarjuna's Four Negations?

I don't know; in that talk he did not mention Nagarjuna that I remember.
He could have been quoting him.
He could have been quoting his own teacher.
He could have been speaking from his own simple, direct experience.
I have no way of knowing.

I think the really key thing here is NOT the four negations themselves,
but what Maharishi put before and after them, to put them in context,
to reveal through his commentary the core meaning, to compassionately
give us some hints that help us "solve" the riddle.

 > Good for him. When and where was this, Michael?

Somewhere in Switzerland or France, between 1972 and 1978.
I'd have to spend many hours looking through a big stack of old course
notebooks to be more precise.  But the words were so profound that they
were etched into my memory, and over the past few years I went back and
checked them in my notes to make sure I haven't transmuted them over time.

 > The phrase I find most useful in stopping myself from trying to
 > conceptualize Brahman is that it is "One without a second."

Yes, It is "one without a second" AND it is all the seconds conceivable!
There just is no expression that does it justice.
The expressions are just the intellect trying to "get a handle" on It.
It's a fun pastime, isn't it? - As long as we don't take it too seriously.

Namaste,

Michael

PARA - THE CENTER FOR REALIZATION
Michael Dean Goodman, Ph.D., D.D., Director
Boca Raton (Palm Beach County) Florida
561-350-3930 * [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dedicated to removing the constrictions to the full flow of life -
whether they be physical, mental/emotional, or spiritual - and to
the unfoldment of peace, freedom, awareness, love, and ecstasy

Spiritual guide (ashtanga yoga/meditation, tantra, vedanta, ayur veda)
Counselor * Life Coach * Speaker/Educator * Author
Private Sessions * Classes * Workshops & Retreats * Satsangs (Self-inquiry)
Clients and programs throughout the United States, Europe, and India
Working in person or by phone
Free initial consultation to discuss your needs and goals