> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sinhlnx" <sinhlnx@> wrote:
> > >
> > > ---Consider an apartment as a type of cage. Could a person
> > > only "think" the apartment is real, but really be living inside
> > > Mae West's head?
> > >
> > > http://www.planetperplex.com/en/item203
> > >
> > > Or, Jim, you were fortunate in realizing you were in a cage. So
> > > I guess the people living in the cage but don't know it are
> > > in "ignorant Bliss"?....kind of like the people living in the
> > > Matrix world while the aliens are sucking out the juices from
> > > their real bodies.
> >
> > Or perhaps Jim is living locked in the cage of "Enlightenment
> > World" -- perhaps not knowing he is caged, all the while
> > thinking he is boundlessly free.
>
> Or, having made the mistake of announcing that he is
> realized/enlightened, now he's stuck in the cage of
> pretending that he is. I guess that's the same thing
> you mean by "enlightenment world."
>
> I can't say fersure, of course, but it's certainly a
> possibility. I've seen the same phenomenon before in
> many different spiritual trips. Someone has a neat
> experience of realization -- a *real* experience of
> realization -- and, because they assume that once
> they have such an experience it will be permanent,
> they announce to the world their enlightenment. Some
> of them even set themselves up as spiritual teachers
> or gurus at this point.
>
> And then the experience fades. What's a guru to do?
>
> An honest one would go to his students and say, "Oops,
> I was wrong." One who was a little less honest, espec-
> ially with himself, would pretend that the experience
> of realization was still going on. An even less honest
> one would indulge in self deception, and convince him-
> self that it was still going on.
>
> Once you've had a couple of these realization exper-
> iences, it's pretty easy to "talk the talk" of them.
> Few can tell whether you're talkin' from present exper-
> ience or past experience, because you *are* talkin'
> from experience. So it's actually a fairly common
> phenomenon in the larger community of spiritual trips
> and seekers to see people milking a transitory exper-
> ience of realization for years or decades after it
> has gone away or faded.
>
> Not to say that's what's going on here on FFL, but it
> could be. Because such things *aren't* talked about
> much in the TMO, but are known about and talked about
> openly in other spiritual trips, I just thought I'd
> bring up the possibility.

Just to clarify, what I am talking about above
is a "spirituality-wide" phenomenon, one *not*
limited to TM and the TMO. For the record, however,
there are a couple of aspects of this phenomenon
that I have noticed are stronger in the TMO.

The first is the willingness of the larger commun-
ity of seekers to *perpetuate* the phenomenon of
people "moodmaking their enlightenment" and allow
it to go on. IMO, this is because in the TMO,
relatively few people (maybe a few hundred out of
what, millions?) have ever *had* strong realization
experiences. *And* they've paid a great deal, both
in terms of time and money, *to* have such an
experience. So when someone announces that they've
had one, or have realized their enlightenment,
there is a tendency to suspend disbelief and allow
them to do it out of hopes that, "If it can happen
for him/her, it could still happen for me."

The second aspect of this phenomenon that I see as
fairly unique within the TM movement variant of it
is that the hierarchical oneupsmanship *continues*
in those who have announced their enlightenment. In
the TMO, with its rigid, hierarchical conceptual
framework of "seven states of consciousness," it's
not *enough* to just realize one's enlightenment.
Nooooo. :-) Once one has announced that one is real-
ized (CC), there are still GC and UC and BC to
announce. And now there are all the siddhis and
other perceptions to announce as well. It's like
the moment Maharishi talks about a new state of
consciousness or a new type of subtle perception,
there are realized souls lining up to announce that
they've just reached that state of consciousness
or had that perception.

What's funniest for those of us who have seen this
phenomenon in other spiritual traditions is to watch
the "enlightened dick size contests." They go some-
thing like the following imaginary dialog between
two TM-realized souls:

"Yeah, that's a pretty good realization experience
you just talked about. Thanks for sharing it. I used
to have those experiences, too, back before my own
realization began to open up into God consciousness."

"Oh, I didn't mean to imply that the experience I
was talking about was *limited* to only CC; it has
continued for me, even after I started experiencing
GC. In fact, I still have these experiences now that
I'm living in UC."

"Yes, I agree. Even from the standpoint of Brahman
it is possible to have such experiences. I know that
even *I*, living Blazing Brahman as I do, occasionally
backslide into such lesser experiences."

:-)

Exaggerated for effect, but not that much, if you listen
carefully.

The bottom line from my point of view is that there
is simply No Way to tell whether someone is bullshitting
you (and often themselves) about their supposed enlight-
enment or not. So you believe whatever you want, and
whatever makes you happy.