Comment below:

**

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "BillyG." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <reavismarek@>
> wrote:
>

> > This (above) is a good capsule of what Maharishi's original
> > intentions were, I feel, when he started teaching in the west.
Yoga
> > is so empirical in nature and practice and most religions
promulgate
> > most, if not all, of the elements contained in the yamas and
niyamas
> > that Maharishi could have very reasonably felt that any
individual
> > following the tenets of their culture and religion while at the
same
> > time practicing TM would get the substance of Patanjali's 8
limbs.
> > It was a nice and emminently practical scheme.
>
> Thanks, and yes, I thought of that as well, but...and here's the
but,
> perhaps most TM'ers weren't Religious to begin with or relied on TM
> be their main source of Religious/spiritual guidance.
>
> This was a big mistake, because for these people it became *Science
in
> lieu of Religion* and Science in lieu of Religion will always be
weak
> and ineffective compared to Science combined with Religion or
Science
> taught in the context of Religion like 'Religious Science'.
>
> Without the foundation of Spirituality (which is Religion) it's
like a
> slow boat to China, you'll get there but it'll take a lot longer.
You
> can't be a sinner and a saint at the same time...just doesn't work
> that way! Nice post!!

**end**

It may have been that when Maharishi first came to the West, religion
was more central to people's lives than when our generation came to
TM in the 60s and 70s; or maybe from the hyper-religious culture that
Maharishi came from he just presumed a similar attitude in the rest
of the world which didn't prove to be the case.

It was a good and powerful influence in the world, though, and
judging by the majority of posters here, whether or not they still
practice any part of it, still a good and powerful thing overall.

Thanks.