Ned Wynn was my group's "leader" in Majorca 1971. He was in charge of
getting our 200 course participants from meeting to meeting with
Maharishi -- we were seeing Maharishi for THREE two-hour sessions
EVERY DAY -- imagine that, only 200 people in the room.  Everyone
could count the hairs on Maharishi's chin.

I found Ned a true believer and gentle soul.  Or, at least he was good
at acting the part.  Nice style.  Nice mask to wear.

When he "caught" me reading "Be Here Now," he simply said that Ram
Dass was still a seeker, "so why get knowledge from a lesser source?"
 He was a bit sad about my reading it, but I think he put that down to
my being a newbie.  He could have gotten me very depressed and ready
to quit if he'd had very much judgementalism going, cuz I'm a psychic
when it comes to detecting besmirching of my narcissism, but he was
gentle and kind and patient and forgiving. At the time, I thought he
was a great embodiment of the teaching -- I thought I'd be like him
when I "grew up."

I saw him carry Maharishi's deerskin a few times, don't know what else
he did, but it sure looked like he had a ton of access to Maharishi.

I was in the lobby of my hotel when Keenan Wynn came to visit.  I knew
him immediately -- having seen him in umpteen films.  I stood about 20
feet away -- gave him privacy as he checked in.  It was late, no one
in the lobby except him, me and the clerk behind the front desk.

It didn't take long to figure that Keenan was unsteady on his feet,
and only a little longer to smell his breath, and I should have been
quite appalled that "this drunk" was going to get to sit up front,
have a private meeting with Maharishi, and ask stupid first lecture
questions, maybe even be drunk during his meeting with Maharishi, and
then leave Majorca without having gained anything from it -- except to
have shown up "for his son's sake," and maybe to have bragging rights
for "having met the guru of the Beatles."

But I wasn't appalled.  Ned was such a good person that my first
reaction to his father was:  "this is Ned's father who deserves all my
respect, because, no matter how he did it, he created a foundation in
Ned that led Ned to TM."  Something like that.

That's how good a person New Wynn was -- he inspired me to step beyond
my knee jerk judgment of others.  I think that that's how "all us
hippies" were thinking about the movement back then: "Mood make about
the panacea that's being handed to us on a silver platter.  Be
passionate about saving the world.  Do the right thing.  Keep this
going.  Don't fuck up the community."  Like that.  A Woodstocky
energy.  Spiritual Rock and Roll.

After I got my mantras in Fiuggi eight months later, I never saw Ned
again, but even now, I'd drive more than an hour to have lunch with
him.  No matter what became of him, I cannot imagine his integrity
being any less than it was when he "handled" me.

I say unashamedly, even as a fallen TMer, "Ned, Jai Guru Dev!"

And inside, I bow.

Edg