Bronte:

>   I belong to another chat room. It's about caring for rabbits. It's
a nice place, and this is the policy on flames -- enforced and taken
seriously:

>   FLAME POLICY
>
>   EtherBun is an unmoderated listserve. However, because we want
EtherBun to be a happy place, the list owner and the EtherBun Advisory
Committee insist that there will be NO FLAMING, EVER. A flame is
defined as a personally insulting or derogatory post. Strong opinions,
healthy disagreement and civil discussion are welcome on EtherBun, but
flaming will not be tolerated. If you write a post voicing a strong
opinion about a controversial issue, please DO NOT name other EtherBun
subscribers personally. To do so invites hostility and fans the flames
of war, which will not be tolerated on EtherBun. Offenders will be
warned by the Advisory Committee, and repeat offenses will result in
the offender's being deleted from the list.
>   If you are ever the victim of a private flame because of something
that occurred on EtherBun, please forward a copy of the flame post to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] At the discretion of the EtherBun Advisory Committee, the
perpetrator will be warned and/or deleted from the list of subscribers.

FFL guidelines say essntially the same thing. More concisely or
compactly perhaps.    The issue is the ethos and aura of enforcement.
Different forums resolve this in different ways.

Rick generally goes by consensus.  Or does what he feels is right, and
beleives others will "get it" when implemented. For example, few
wanted to change to 35 posts / week limit, from 5/day, Ricks said,
"lets try it for 30 days anyway. It seems to be a good idea". And now
most everyone applauds the policy.

It never would have happened if Rick did not take the initiative,
applied common sense and perhaps intuition, and moved "ahead" of the
consensus. As a leader, not a follower.

My take is that while consensus is good, it rarely is achieved without
experience by the participants.  Though I applaud Ricks management
style of seeking consensus, I suggest the experience of the 35 post
change as a paradigm for management here. Try out  various "common
sense" solutions. See if they work for a month. After experience with
the policy, then ask for a consensus. We would never have 35 posts a
week if Rick had waited for a pre-consensus on that.

Some things to try.

1) It is not subjective when someone blatently flames. Its obvious.
Adhere to the guidelines and ban any such flaming poster for a week.
Two weeks second offense. Six months after 4-5 offenses. I suggest
that Yoda-Rick try this for a month. THEN see if there is a consensus
then for the policy.

2) Same bans for gratuatious profanity or sexist, racist, ageist,
creedist slurs. Thats clear 99% of the time (For example, sadly not
everyone got the "Jane, You Ignorant Slut" satire.)

3) Same bans for trolling -- defined as "incessant posting of
inflamatory material with the intent to push button and incite
flames". This is clear 90% of the time, and the first offense should
receive a warning. Then 1, 2,3 week bans.