Edg, when I lived in Davis there were (and still are, I suspect) lots
of crows and Davis has lots of walnut trees, too -- big suckers with
lots and lots of walnuts.  The crows like the walnuts and they'd
swoop down and pick them up and drop them over and over on the road
from maybe 20-30 feet up until they broke open.  Long, hard work.

However, after awhile some of the crows figured out that cars running
over the dropped walnuts really speeded up the fulfillment of their
walnut desires. There were spots in Davis where the crows would wait
with their walnuts until they saw a car coming along and then they'd
drop 'em on the road right before it passed so as to take advantage
of the big nutcracker.  Lovely.

Marek

**