--Below, you ask if "I" is the individual.  Depends upon how you
define it: a. the illusory I that is the core of misidentification,
or b. the "individual" who remains after the ignorance of
misidentification is gone, and who STILL may refer to herself as "I"
in ordinary exchanges of conversation with people. The question then
becomes, what is the nature of this (b) "I"...; is it/he/she simply
saying something that has no "reality"?  No.
  The I who remains has no "substantial", i.e. "in-itself" reality
separate from Brahman; but the ongoing error of Neo-Advaita is that
there's no significance to the remaining I.
 As pointed out by several contributors, the I that/who remains also
has several major components when misidentification vanishes.  One of
these components can be called the social I, and includes all manner
of habitual behaviors in the due course of social interactions.
 There are several other categories of this I:  (b), the bodily/mind
I; in essence, this body/mind that remains (even though "non-
substantial") is a new I that exists in the world of nonduality.
  Say you lived on a planet where everybody was born enlightened.
Would people go around saying nobody has an "I".  No.  First, not
having tasted the ignorance of misidentification, they would have no
conception of what it is, none whatsoever.
  In the course of social intercourse, the notational "I" would be
required, because on that planet, visitors may knock on your door
asking if you are so and so.  Naturally, you would reply "Yes, I am".
 More specifically and directly, exactly what is this new "I", apart
from being a mere notation?
 It's a relative body/mind!
Thus, to answer your question, an "I" exists after Enlightenment,
yes, but it's not the same I as before which is based on the delusion
of separateness.
 The new I is a holographic "me", wholly inseparable from the
Absolute continuum of pure Consciousness; but still composed of
various relative components such as the capacity to interact
socially, to perform actions with the mind, senses, and organs; and
to engage in new types of perceptions, especially relating to the
entire universe of existence that forms the holographic identity.
 The holographic aspect to the new I is important since holograms
enfold the totality but each hologram differs from the others in
having priorities of viewpoints.  The things being seen have no inner
core of an "I' as a false identity, but they (the objects) are
simply "being seen". By what?  The body and its senses.
 Thus, your Guru is misguided if he has fallen into the Neo-Advaita
trap which claims that all types of an "I" vanish at Enlightenment.
The Enlightenment "I" is a holographic "I", nondifferent from the
Absolute continuum but partaking of normal interactions by virtue of
ongoing bodily impulses and the capacity to engage in entirely new,
creative, and original enterprises.