As I said, I have many non-unicode compliant fonts on my XP and they were
not affected by the critical updates so perhaps something else is
involved.

Next question:
What are all these font packages we are suddenly hearing about? I only
know about Farsiweb's Koodak which I thought was under construction and
not yet ready for distribution. Perhaps Mehran and Behnam could provide
some details about these fonts. Are they complete? Do they have all the
characters? Do the diacritics position correctly?  I'm worried there's
going to be many fonts with the same names but different behaviors.

-Connie