Thank you, I will read up on it...

Just two more questions:

1.

zi= an.ms_envelope_rect(Tg);
is still buggy, right? At least it behaves very differently than 'zi_lp'
lp1p(cf,x)= fi.pole(b,x* (1- b))with{
b= exp(-2* ma.PI* cf/ ma.SR);
};
zi_lp(x)= lp1p(1/ Tg,x* x);

2.

Regarding cpu-hunger, can you tell, which parts of master_me are eating
up most resources?
For instance, I am calling 'Lk2' four times of which three are the
same... does it matter?

Klaus

On 20.07.21 22:49, Stéphane Letz wrote:
> [...]
>>>

>>> The ‘EBU Mode’ loudness meter shall at least provide functionality that
>>> enables the user to –
>>> 1. start/pause/continue the  measurement  of  integrated  loudness  and
>>> Loudness  Range  simultaneously, that is, switch the meter between
>>> ‘running’ and ‘stand-by’ states;
>>> 2. reset the  measurement  of  integrated  loudness  and  Loudness  Range
>>> simultaneously,  regardless of whether the meter is in the ‘running’ and
>>> ‘stand-by’ state.
>>>
>>> For master_me, I need a 'long-term' with gating. Or even better
>>> 'variable-term' with gating ;)
>>>
>>> So much for now... Trying to understand your gating code now... :)
>>>
>>> Thanks, Klaus
>>>

>>> On 16.07.21 21:32, Juan Carlos Blancas wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Klaus,
>>>
>>> Glad to hear the project update with M LUFS meters.
>>>
>>> I did a little research, scheme and a working sketch in Max, maybe it helps
>>> you somehow but my code in Faust its not working at the moment, kind of
>>> lost with this program, 0 intuitive for me... I’m using ba.if for the
>>> gates, ba.countup+ba.peakhold for resetable counter, and for the running
>>> cumulative average this formula I found in internet; ( (counter * _ ) +
>>> newValue) / (counter+1) )  ~ _; Main issue how to keep track of the values
>>> from the gates and compute the running averages with an incremental
>>> automatic counter until the next manual reset. Second round soon when get
>>> more free time.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Juan Carlos
>>>
>>> ////////////////////////////
>>> /* 1770-3 scheme
>>>
>>> (M and I):
>>>
>>> 1) K-filter (HSF+RLB)—> sliding rect window, integration 400 ms, no gate —>
>>> 2) Update the linear output of the 400 ms sliding rect window every 100 ms
>>> (75% overlap, 10Hz refresh) => get Momentary LUFS (power dB, -0.691
>>> correction).
>>> 3) Absolute gate: threshold at -70 LUFS, values below are ignored, take the
>>> linear values from the 10Hz updated 400 ms sliding window —>
>>> 4) Counting every value above the gate and calculate the running cumulative
>>> average, with a manual reset button for the counter  —>
>>> 5) Relative gate: compare the output of the absolute gate with a -10 LU
>>> drop of the previous averaging —>
>>> 6) Counting every value above the relative gate and calculate the running
>>> cumulative average, with a manual reset button for the counter  => get
>>> Integrated LUFS (power dB, -0.691 correction).
>>>
>>> (S and LRA):
>>>
>>> 1) Sliding rect window, integration 3 sec, no gate —>
>>> 2) Update the linear output of the 3 sec sliding rect window every 100 ms
>>> (75% overlap, 10Hz refresh) => get Shorterm LUFS (power dB, -0.691
>>> correction).
>>> 3) Calculate LRA …
>>> ………
>>>
>>> */
>>>
>>> import("stdfaust.lib");
>>>
>>> A48kHz = ( /* 1.0, */ -1.99004745483398, 0.99007225036621);
>>> B48kHz = (1.0, -2.0, 1.0);
>>> highpass48kHz = fi.iir(B48kHz,A48kHz);
>>> highpass = fi.highpass(2, 40);
>>>
>>> boostDB = 4;
>>> boostFreqHz = 1430;
>>> highshelf = fi.high_shelf(boostDB, boostFreqHz);
>>>
>>> kfilter = highshelf : highpass;
>>>
>>> MAXN = 262144;
>>> Tg = 0.4;
>>> Ovlp = 10; // Hz
>>>
>>> W = ma.SR*0.4;
>>> float2fix(n) = *(2^n) : int;
>>> fix2float(n) = float : /(2^n);
>>>
>>> avg400msWindow = kfilter : ^(2) : float2fix(16) <: _,@(W) : - : +~_ :
>>> fix2float(16) : /(W);
>>>
>>> overlap100ms = ba.if( os.lf_pulsetrain(Ovlp) > 0.5, avg400msWindow, !);
>>> dB = (-0.691 + (10*log10(overlap100ms)));
>>>
>>> reset = button("reset") : ba.impulsify;
>>> gateAbsolute = ba.if( dB > -70, overlap100ms, !);
>>> counter1  = ba.if( dB > -70.0, 1, 0);
>>> sampleHold1 = ba.countup(ma.SR*300, 1-counter1+reset) <: _,
>>> ba.peakhold(1-reset) :> _;
>>> cumulativeAverage1 = (((sampleHold1*_)+gateAbsolute)  / (sampleHold1+1))  ~
>>> _;
>>>
>>> gateRelative = ba.if( (-0.691 + (10*log10(gateAbsolute))) > (-10.691 +
>>> (10*log10(cumulativeAverage1))), overlap100ms, !);
>>> counter2 = ba.if( (-0.691 + (10*log10(gateRelative))) > -70.0, 1, 0);
>>> sampleHold2 = ba.countup(ma.SR*300, 1-counter2+reset) <: _,
>>> ba.peakhold(1-reset) :> _;
>>> cumulativeAverage2 = (((sampleHold2*_)+gateRelative) / (sampleHold2+1)) ~ _;
> [...]
>>> integrated loudness.
>>>
>>> Yes, I was wondering about that too… Just so you have some context, I don’t
>>> want to replicate an lufs meter, but I want to use lufs it in my project
>>> master_me, which is meant to stabilise audio during streaming events:
>>> https://github.com/trummerschlunk/master_me
>>>
>>> For that I would like to be able to adjust the agility of the integrated
>>> loudness. Also the gating should be adjustable.
>>>

>>> Nice project! definitely would be great to add LUFS meters and kind of a
>>> loudness stabilizer with targets.
>>> Best,
>>> Juan Carlos
>>>

>>> On 10. Jul 2021, at 14:47, Juan Carlos Blancas <lav...@gmail.com
>>> Klaus, I’m using Atom+FaustLive, Max and SC to do the tests, but I get the
>>> same crash as you with faustide/editor.
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/blwtwao7j317db0/test.mov?dl=0
>>>

>>> Btw the reading are aprox but not the same as Youlean nor Insight2 for
>>> instance…
>>> also thinking about how to do the -70 dB gate and most important the
>>> integrated loudness.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Juan Carlos
>>>

>>> El 10 jul 2021, a las 12:17, Klaus Scheuermann <kla...@posteo.de
>>> Thanks, Juan :)
>>>
>>> Your code crashes my faustide on firefox and on chromium (both linux).
>>> Here is the error message:
>>>
>>> ASSERT : please report this message and the failing DSP file to Faust
>>> developers (file: wasm_instructions.hh, line: 918, version: 2.32.16,
>>>
>>> When 'realtime compile' is active, the only way to gain control again is
>>> to delete all cookies and cache from the site.
>>>
>>> I'll try Dario's workaround now ;)
>>>
>>> Cheers, Klaus
>>>

>>> On 09.07.21 18:08, Juan Carlos Blancas wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Klaus,
>>>
>>> For me ms_envelope and rms_envelope functions are not working properly.
>>> I’ve done some test in my Mac Pro with High Sierra, porting without
>>> barograph to Max or Supercollider and I get the strange gate behaviour in
>>> low levels.
>>>
>>> My workaround at the moment is using ba.slidingMeanp instead of
>>> ms_envelope, but it’s 2x cpu intense, so I guess Dario solution of 1plp
>>> filter would be the best for the mean square stage.
>>>

>>> lp1p(cf, x) = fi.pole(b, x * (1 - b))
>>>  with {
>>>  b = exp(-2 * ma.PI * cf / ma.SR);
>>>  };
>>>  zi_lp(x) = lp1p(1 / Tg, x * x);
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Juan Carlos
>>>

>>> // Mono Momentary LUFS meter without gate of Julius, using slidingMeanp
>>> instead of ms_envelope
>>>
>>> import("stdfaust.lib");
>>>
>>> A48kHz = ( /* 1.0, */ -1.99004745483398, 0.99007225036621);
>>> B48kHz = (1.0, -2.0, 1.0);
>>> highpass48kHz = fi.iir(B48kHz,A48kHz);
>>> highpass = fi.highpass(2, 40);
>>>
>>> boostDB = 4;
>>> boostFreqHz = 1430;
>>> highshelf = fi.high_shelf(boostDB, boostFreqHz);

>>> Tg = 0.4;
> [...]
>>>  };
>>>  zi_lp(x) = lp1p(1 / Tg, x * x);
>>>  Tg = 0.4;
>>>  sig = no.noise * gain;
>>>  gain = hslider("Gain [unit:dB]",-70,-70,0,0.1) : ba.db2linear;
>>>  level = ba.linear2db : *(0.5);
>>>  process = sig <: level(zi) , level(zi_leaky) , level(zi_lp);
>>>
>>>  Ciao,
>>>  Dr Dario Sanfilippo
>>>
>>> http://dariosanfilippo.com <http://dariosanfilippo.com
>>>
>>>  On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 at 00:39, Julius Smith <
>>> julius.sm...@gmail.com
>>>
>>>  <mailto:
>>> julius.sm...@gmail.com
>>>
>>> I think that the problem is in an.ms_envelope_rect,
>>>
>>>      particularly the fact that it has a non-leaky integrator. I
>>>      assume that when large values recirculate in the integrator, the
>>>      smaller ones, after pushing the gain down, are truncated to 0
>>>      due to single-precision. As a matter of fact, compiling the code
>>>      in double precision looks fine here.
>>>
>>>      I just took a look and see that it's essentially based on + ~ _
>>>      : (_ - @(rectWindowLenthSamples))
>>>      This will indeed suffer from a growing roundoff error variance
>>>      over time (typically linear growth).
>>>      However, I do not see any noticeable effects of this in my
>>>      testing thus far.
>>>      To address this properly, we should be using TIIR filtering
>>>      principles ("Truncated IIR"), in which two such units pingpong
>>>      and alternately reset.
>>>      Alternatively, a small exponential decay can be added: + ~
>>>      *(0.999999) ... etc.
>>>
>>>      - Julius
>>>
>>>      On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 12:32 PM Dario Sanfilippo
>>>      <
>>> sanfilippo.da...@gmail.com <mailto:sanfilippo.da...@gmail.com
>>>      wrote:
>>>
>>>          I think that the problem is in an.ms_envelope_rect,
>>>          particularly the fact that it has a non-leaky integrator. I
>>>          assume that when large values recirculate in the integrator,
>>>          the smaller ones, after pushing the gain down, are truncated
>>>          to 0 due to single-precision. As a matter of fact, compiling
>>>          the code in double precision looks fine here.
>>>
>>>          Ciao,
>>>          Dr Dario Sanfilippo
>>>
>>> http://dariosanfilippo.com <http://dariosanfilippo.com
>>>
>>>          On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 at 19:25, Stéphane Letz <
>>> l...@grame.fr
>>>
>>>          <mailto:
>>> l...@grame.fr
>>>              « hargraph seems to have some kind of a gate in it that
>>>              kicks in around -35 dB. » humm…. hargraph/vbargrah only
>>>              keep the last value of their written FAUSTFLOAT* zone,
>>>              so once per block, without any processing of course…
>>>
>>>              Have you looked at the produce C++ code?
>>>
>>>              Stéphane
>>>

>>> Le 7 juil. 2021 à 18:31, Julius Smith
>>>
>>> <julius.sm...@gmail.com <mailto:julius.sm...@gmail.com
>>> a écrit :
>>>

>>> That is strange - hbargraph seems to have some kind of
>>>
>>> a gate in it that kicks in around -35 dB.
>>>

>>> In this modified version, you can hear that the sound

>>> Tg = 0.4;
>>> zi = an.ms_envelope_rect(Tg);
>>> gain = hslider("Gain [unit:dB]",-10,-70,0,0.1) :
>>>
>>> ba.db2linear;
>>>
>>> sig = no.noise * gain;
>>> process = attach(sig, (sig : zi : ba.linear2db :
>>>
>>> *(0.5) : hbargraph("test",-70,0)));
>>>

>>> On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 12:59 AM Klaus Scheuermann
>>>
>>> <kla...@posteo.de <mailto:kla...@posteo.de
>>> Hi all,
>>> I did some testing and
>>>
>>> an.ms_envelope_rect()
>>>
>>> seems to show some strange behaviour (at least to me).
>>>
>>> Here is a video
>>>
>>> of the test:
>>>
>>> https://cloud.4ohm.de/s/64caEPBqxXeRMt5
>>> <https://cloud.4ohm.de/s/64caEPBqxXeRMt5
>>>
>>> The audio is white noise and the testing code is:
>>>
>>> import("stdfaust.lib");
>>> Tg = 0.4;
>>> zi = an.ms_envelope_rect(Tg);