tom ehlert wrote:

for instance, what good is encryption/decryption software with released source code that hackers can look through?).
I STRONGLY disagree.
encryption/decryption software withOUT released source code that ANYBODY can go through is probably trying to replace obscurity by security
and should be avoided by any means.
just look at DVD CSS (DeCSS). it was never even near to 'open,free', yet rapidly broken.

DVD CSS is a good example of poor security more than anything else.
But yes, I gave a bad example (I'm slightly distracted right now, as my parents are coming next weekend and my wife and I have to make sure everything's ready, and a bed just decided to break, so we have to replace that, and the tax office decided we need to pay more, and the list goes on... ;-) ).

from a theoretical (theological) point - open software is great for
everything.

Theory doesn't always match reality (would make things simpler if it did though, lol).

unfortunately, there is no business model (how to pay my bred/water/rent) for free and open software.

Considering that programming isn't how I make my money, I'm free from that sort of consideration ;-). For others however, you're quite correct. It's really a shame, but that's how things work.

Arkady V.Belousov wrote:

And when MS scream that "government software should be closed, else it
is unsafe", then this is hype and myth and MS _lies_ there.

What's new about MS lying? They've been doing it as long as I've been paying attention to what they do, lol.

Paul Case