I did an awful lot of research using Google on the network file share browsing issue I had with Fedora 11 using Nautilus. The two things that stand out are something the ISP's are doing and also with the NetBIOS name resolution order done by Samba.

It seems many ISP's are now using "DNS redirection" in place of simply returning an error message that the URL can't be found with the appropriate error code. Instead they redirect bad URL's to some advert site or offer to do a search for a similar URL. This redirection seems to really screw with Samba's NetBIOS name resolution method. Fortunately for me Comcast has a way through the user account preferences to turn this "feature" OFF. Various posts on the 'net claim this violates the documented way DNS look ups work. The suggestion is to either turn it off if you can, which may involve a phone call to your ISP, if not then LOUDLY complain about it screwing up you network.

The second item is the NetBIOS name resolution order in Samba. I have the following line in my samba.conf file:

name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast host dhcp

Anybody care to comment about this?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/389909

Right now browsing for local shares using Samba through Nautilus's "Network" option seems to be working, for now.

Regards;

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO